The following manual is applicable for 32bit Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) and 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) and Verizon Motorola v3 EV-DO enabled phone connected via USB cable as well as number of other EV-DO cards like PC5750.

Motorola v3 EV-DO with Ubuntu

Make sure your device is activated by service provider and if possible test on other OS to which you may have software and drivers.

Open terminal window and type:

sudo -i

and enter your password.
Now all commands typed in this window will be executed with root privileges.
In terminal type:

apt-get update
apt-get upgradeapt-get install wvdial

Before you insert the Card or connect USB cable open terminal window and type:

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > devices

Insert your data card or plug in USB cable and wait for a few seconds before continuing.
In terminal type:

dmesg

You will get output with some device info like this :

[17186692.460000] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices[17186692.460000] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device[17186708.176000] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 4
[17186714.588000] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address

At the end of this output you will find your device witch will be represented like this: ttyACM0 or ttyUSB or similar , make note of it you will need it later.
Now type in terminal:

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep Vendor

Output will be similar to:

< P: Vendor=1234 ProdID=5678 Rev= 0.00

Make note of lines: Vendor=1234 , ProdID=5678

Now in teminal type following code Replacing values 1234 and 5678 with your own output from previously noted lines ::

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1234 product=0x5678

Now you will edit wvdial config file by first typing in terminal :

sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

In new opened window replace all text with following :

[Dialer Defaults]

Auto Reconnect = on
Carrier Check = no
[Dialer shh]
Init3 = ATM0
[Dialer pulse]
Dial Command = ATDP

In the line “Modem =” replace ttyACM0 with value you noted from output of dmesg command.
In the line ” Username = ” put your phone number followed by your providers domain, for Verizon it is area code, your phone number and domain, in this format: 9178889999@vzw3g.com for Sprint it will be 9178889999@sprintpcs.com, for AT&T / Cingular WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, for Alltel 9178889999@alltel.net and so on, further post have config’s posted for other providers.
In line ” password = ” in case of Verizon put: “vzw” for Cingular: “cingular1″ and so on, make sure to check with your provider as username and/or password may differ for other regions and countries.

If you are Cingular/AT&T subscriber and after completing whole guide you have problem with dropping connection you have to add another int line in wvdial script which is posted here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343989&page=3
If you need any specific info regarding your domain or password please contact your cellular provider.
The last thing you need to configure is wvdial line checking, by disabling LCP echo checking witch is not supported by most of providers.
Open terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial

And insert aditionally those lines:

lcp-echo-failure 0
lcp-echo-interval 0

Make sure your ethernet jack is unplugged and wifi radio switch is turned off.
Now you can start connection by typing in terminal :

wvdial

Another thing i have been suggested is automating the connection process.
To do so in Gnome go to :

System > Preferences > Sessions next, click on the tab labeled, “Startup Programs” then click the “Add” button.
In the Startup Command field, enter “wvdial” and then click “OK”.Then restart your system.

Now make sure your EV-DO card is inserted before you boot it up, it will initiate the connection process automatically in the background connecting you to internet the second you log in.

The manual is kindly provided by Mach1US.

Information improvisation: Unlock the key of your success by http://www.braindumps.com/300-135.htm and http://www.pass4-sure.us/CompTIA-Security-plus-training.html By using our latest http://www.test-king.com/exams/300-115.htm and http://www.microsoft.com/ study material, you can easily pass http://www.actualtests.com/exam-300-115.htm Best Wishes.

1. Pingback : Get suspend/hibernate working fast in Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04) and Edgy Eft (6.10) | Linux Screw

2. September 28, 2007  12:03 pm by 235 Reply

config file for wvdial little bit broken - not all new lines present

3. October 1, 2007  6:44 am by artiomix Reply

Wow, that was a typo :) Thanks, 235!

4. October 8, 2007  3:00 pm by kmak Reply

Thank you!!! Just what I was looking for to get my company issued Verizon USB720 working under Ubuntu 7.10.

5. October 8, 2007  3:02 pm by artiomix Reply

Nice to read this, kmak! Thanks commenting :)

6. October 8, 2007  3:12 pm by kmak Reply

One minor note: You have a typo in the wvdial.conf file:

Baud = 921600Init = ATZ

should be:

Baud = 921600

Init = ATZ

Before making this change wvdial gave me a bad init string error.

Hope this helps and thanks again.

7. October 8, 2007  3:17 pm by artiomix Reply

kmak, you're a star! :) Typo "Baud = 921600Init = ATZ" is fixed from now.

8. October 28, 2007  2:08 am by S Reply

Thanks for this manual...used it to get an old compaq laptop working with a PC5750 on Debian lenny (very minimal install). Verizon abandoned all older hardware with VZAccess woring only with M$2000 and up.

9. Pingback : Keep contacts and calendar/datebook of Motorola Razr V3 saved | Linux Screw

10. January 25, 2008  5:40 pm by John Hendricks Reply

When I try and run the commands below, I get the following messages:

root@jhendricks-laptop:/# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > devices

cat: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory

These instructions aren't working for me. I've had this pc5750 evdo modem working under ubuntu 7.10 before. I reloaded and installed kubuntu 7.10 and can't seem to duplicate what I did before. Can anyone tell me what I'm not doing correct?

Regards,

John

11. February 7, 2008  9:43 pm by Isaac Teletor Reply

Hi John Hendricks, the reason is that the support for /proc/bus/usb/* was removed in Ubuntu 7.10. Software developers will (over time) port USB calls to check /dev/bus/usb first but until then the following work-around re-enables /proc/bus/usb/devices in Ubuntu 7.10, you need to edit this file like this:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

then look for this lines

#

# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work

#mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs

#domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644

#ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices

#mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

And remove the lines to make it look like this

#

# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work

mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs

domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644

ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices

mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Gook Luck

Isaac

Guatemala

12. March 9, 2008  9:56 am by lex Reply

Thank you!!!! alltel PC5750 working under Ubuntu 7.10. no problem

13. March 29, 2008  6:19 pm by Gary Miller Reply

Thanks for the information. I now have this working on Fedora core 7 as well.

14. April 15, 2008  6:47 am by John Hale Reply

Excellent tutorial. I tried several other more complicated solutions, none of which worked. This worked like a charm the first time I tried it on Ubuntu Server 7.04 with a Verizon USB720.

15. May 8, 2008  9:02 pm by JimF -- a pilgrim still Reply

Great set of instructions! Indeed, it worked fine with minimal tweaking. When I run the wvdial command, I get some curious warnings:

--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
    --> --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
    --> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
    --> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.

What is that about?

16. May 11, 2008  5:25 am by Jim Maher Reply

Whenever I try to dial everything seems to go smoothly, my modem starts blinking like it's sending and receiving data, but then it just stops blinking...I'm not sure if it's disconnecting right away, or what. I am pretty new to linux...running fedora 8, and using a verizon USB720 modem.

17. May 13, 2008  4:40 am by robert Reply

Thanks! Using ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Harron) I didn't need to do anything before editing /etc/wvdial.conf

wvdial is already installed, and I couldn't find the usb/devices file. So I just skipped to editing /etc/wvdial.conf, then continued with the rest of the directions and it worked!!

details: using usb720 with verizon on ubuntu 8.04.

Thanks again dude!!

18. May 14, 2008  11:18 pm by matt Reply

DONT HAVE A /ETC/PPP DIRECTORY MUCH LESS A /ETC/PPP/PEERS/WVDIAL..

19. May 14, 2008  11:28 pm by matt Reply

Oops I should mention I am running Ubuntu 8.
    and using Verizon USB720.
    Using Gnome PPP it shows it connects and gets an IP but the Browser will not connect.

Thanks

20. May 14, 2008  11:34 pm by matt Reply

Never Mind I found it- I will continue on with the input
    Thanks

21. May 14, 2008  11:42 pm by matt Reply

Running wvdial appears to work, I get a remote IP address,Local IP address, DNS etc.
    But when I open Firefox it can't find my page " address not found" when i try to look anything up. Is there something I am missing??
    Any help would be great.

thanks

22. May 15, 2008  12:58 pm by Gary Miller Reply

Matt ...

The wvdial creates a resolved.conf from the DNS it gets over the link but never copies it to /etc. On fedora there are commands to do this but I do not use them. Just copy the resolv.conf file from /etc/ppp/... (soory don not remember the exact folder) to the /etc folder. You should back up your current "resolv.conf" file first though.

23. May 15, 2008  1:00 pm by Gary Miller Reply

BTW "soory" should be "sorry" ..

24. May 15, 2008  4:45 pm by matt Reply

Thanks for the help.

I have copied the resolv.conf file from /etc/ppp to /etc

(i left the original where it was)

I run wvdial from Konsole and it does the same thing... I get what appears to be all of the needed info from Verizon- IPs, Dns etc but Firefox can't open any pages. I get Address Not found when trying to open wwww.yahoo.com or any other site.

When i am hard wired using DHCP i can surf just fine.

25. May 15, 2008  5:26 pm by Gary Miller Reply

Well if the resolv.conf contains the information that wvdial displays for DNS then the DNS lookups should work. If it does not then the name to IP address lookup will fail.