There are two solutions to perform video conferencing between two completely different operating systems Linux and Windows: they are OpenWengo project and Ekiga.org. Both provide client software for Linux and Windows. OpenWengo project also offers client for Mac OS X.

OpenWengo softphone OpenWengo is a community of enthusiasts and developers, creating free software products related to communication over IP. The flagship product of the OpenWengo project is a softphone which allows you to make free PC to PC video and voice calls, and to integrate all your IM contacts in one place.

EkigaEkiga (formely known as GnomeMeeting) is an open source VoIP and video conferencing application for GNOME. Ekiga uses both the H.323 and SIP protocols. It supports many audio and video codecs, and is interoperable with other SIP compliant software and also with Microsoft NetMeeting. Ubuntu contains Ekiga by default.

I promise that I’ll share my testings here when I achieve some positive results in video conferencing between Linux and Windows operating systems. You can subscribe our RSS feed to get informed first.

Any results, observations, notes, tips are welcome here.

Information improvisation: Decrease your exam stress by using our latest http://www.braindumps.com/640-461.htm and best quality http://www.pass4-sure.us/CCNA-Security-training.html and passguide. We provide with 100% pass guarantee along with http://www.test-king.com/exams/300-101.htm and http://www.actualtests.com/exam-300-101.htm and more visit http://www.comptia.org/ Good Luck.

SIP based VoIP telephony

1. Pingback : Safe as Milk » Blog Archive » links for 2007-09-07

2. September 9, 2007  7:57 am by Yannick Reply

Hi,

Here you'll find a list of SIP clients working with Ekiga:

Warning: I'm not aware of a single SIP client running with Vista able to do video with Ekiga yet. With Vista, Microsoft just dropped the SIP support and promote their own closed protocol (Windows Live Messenger). This will probably improve at the time Ekiga 3.0 will be out (it will support numerous video codecs, including the excellent H.264).

Wengophone only works with wengophone for video due to bad implementation of the video codec (non-standard).

Regards,

Yannick

3. September 9, 2007  10:16 am by artiomix Reply

Hi, Yannick! Nice one!

Thank you for the link, mate. The problem is I have no access to any Window$ at the moment and can't proceed with any testings. Of course it's possible to use VMware to emulate Windows but to get testings more clear I'd like to perform it with Linux and Windows which are physically at different computers :)

I hope to get something next week.

4. September 22, 2007  6:01 pm by romadascoprire Reply

I wasn’t able to get a successful call happening on Vista, Windows Messenger (not Windows Live Messenger) on XP works with Ekiga on GNU/Linux. However, Windows Messenger is not available on Vista..anyone found a solution ?

5. September 24, 2007  7:51 am by artiomix Reply

Romadascoprire, if we're talking about video call, we didn't find any positive results yet unfortunately. :( But testings are still in progress... :)

6. December 11, 2007  12:49 am by gagar Reply

Ekiga now has been ported to Windows, although the build is still in beta. I downloaded and installed Ekiga successfully to a Windows XP box and a PCLinuxOS machine. Ekiga passed all built in and ekiga.net provided tests on both computers. Both computers are on my wired home network. The computers successfully called and answered each other using both SIP and H323 protocols and maintained the connection. All good. Now the bad. Neither computer would display the other computers video, only the video of the owning computer. Neither computer would recieve audio. The mic VU meter on both computers indicated transmission but neither speaker VU meter indicated reception. So, contact was made, but communication was not successful. The Windows XP computer was behind a double firewall (computer & router) and the PCLinuxOS computer was behind a single firewall (router only). I hesitate to think this was the problem because both computers passed all the tests at ekiga.net which had to go through the firewalls. This is a great app with much promise and I'm gonna keep at it until somebody or me makes it work cross-platform. The worlds need for this capability is increasing logarithmically.

7. December 11, 2007  12:52 am by gagar Reply

edit: Additionally, audio was not heard through the speakers of either headset.

8. February 11, 2008  9:50 am by ladyfaa Reply

Is it chat or commutication sevrice?

9. December 22, 2008  9:55 pm by Cesar Reply

Have two laptops at home, one with windows, the other with ubuntu linux. Installed Ekiga in both...

call to some friends and could make video calls between linux-linux windowsxp-linux linux-windowsxp and windowsxp-windowsxp succesfully.

some cases the image resolution differs, guess is matter of configuration.

10. December 23, 2008  9:26 pm by gagar Reply

That's Excellent Cesar. All of us will benefit from your test. Thanks.

Sounds like Ekiga has done some developing or fine tuning. God Bless them.

Another important development lately is in Skype. It is now completely cross compatable between Linux, MAC, and Windows. I have video called friends with Windows and MAC while I'm on a Linux Box. As with you, all calls were successful in every way, video, voice, and text.

ladyfaa, if by communication service you mean internet phone service like Vonage, It's not. Ekiga is more like chat, ala Windows Messenger, Yahoo Instant Messenger, and Skype.

11. December 23, 2008  10:15 pm by tcrass Reply

Cesar,

I'd really love to know how you managed to get bi-directional video between Linux and Windows using Ekiga... since this is something I've been trying for about the last 36 hours. *Very* occasionally I do get some (rather low-res) video exchanged between my Debian desktop and my wife's Windows XP laptop, but I just couldn't figure out any criteria when it would work and when it wouldn't. :-( Can you elaborate a little on the settings you used (enabled audio/video codecs and their sorting order, used webcam resolution, video bitrate, uplink rate of your internet connection...)? I just *have* to get this to work before our twin babies will be born, my parents (also using Win XP) will be dying to see them asap... ;-)

Torsten

12. January 1, 2009  4:29 am by video conferencing f Reply

I have read this post. This is very much true. Even I own a blog account on video conferencing. Video conferencing is indeed a great innovation in technology and communications. One day video conferencing will be like an ordinary house-hold item in the next 5-10 years.I will mention your post in my blog.

13. February 4, 2010  9:39 am by Stanley Sturgis Reply

Sweet Details I adore the various articles which have been written, and especially the comments posted! I will come back!

14. February 7, 2010  11:28 am by Armando Nuffer Reply

I adore many of the articles that have been written, and especially the comments posted! This is the nice site!

15. March 21, 2010  4:18 am by Grace Harary Reply

You have got the position across much better than I ever might, bless you!

16. April 1, 2010  2:05 pm by RTX Dualphone 3088 U Reply

I've long been making use of this rtx dualphone 3088 for quite some time now and I have to reveal you'll find it a rather top bit of equipment. see ... this page

17. May 7, 2010  9:05 pm by Kasha Hynd Reply

I must say that your weblog is completely informative. I have been using quite a lot of energy in the last couple months looking at exactly what is available and influenced by simple fact that I'm planning to launch a blogging site. The important info you have place on here is largely to the point. It just seems so challenging regarding all the technology that are to choose from, but I like the way your looks. Gotta find it irresistible where modern technology has come over the past 12 yrs.

18. September 17, 2010  3:33 pm by conference software Reply

Conferencing software is the latest in global communication. The costs to any company can be cut dramatically in using this kind of tool. I use conferencing software and it has changed the way I do business online. I highly recommend this as a major step forward with any business, large or small.

19. February 11, 2011  4:19 am by Jesse Taylor Reply

Will any of these open source, linux-based applications allow me to do video-conferencing with a person using Skype on Windows?

20. February 18, 2011  12:03 pm by yulianto Reply

can u tell me what video conference aplication for ubuntu server? can u tell me coz for may tesis..thx

21. March 1, 2011  4:04 pm by prestamo Reply

It's a great notice that we can had a tool useful for both systems, sometimes using linux I feel a bit ilolated for my friends that uses windows and even the users of Mac...
    Great and veru sueful tool...now how I convince to my friends to download it? :P

22. April 28, 2011  7:52 am by Rae Nordahl Reply

I couldn’t have genuinely inquired for a significantly greater blog. You are obtainable to offer you outstanding guidance.cheers