VideoDownloader is the a service that allows to download online video from YouTube, Google Video, iFilm and MANY other into FLV files. Saved files can be easily converted into different video formats by the following online video converters (some of them allows to save and convert online video in one step instead of two).

Online tools

Vixy.net: allows you convert a Flash Video / FLV file (YouTube’s videos, etc) to MPEG4 (AVI/MOV/MP4/MP3/3GP) file online. It is using a compressed domain transcoder technology. It converts FLV to MPEG4 faster and less lossy than a typical transcoder.

Flvix: Free online video converter. Converts and downloads videos from YouTube, Google Video or directly from .FLV file. It also allows to play it on your PC, Mobile, iPod, PSP and enjoy!

ConvertTube: Video converter and downloader.

Convert Tube service

Media-Convert: Media-Convert is 100% free. No software is needed, and you don’t have to register. To convert a file located on your computer: Check File mode, click Browse and choose the file, select input format (if autodetection fails) and output format, submit the form.

Zamzar: Not only video converter, it can convert document, images and audio files. Convert files up to 100 MB. Zamzar will send output files to your email.

FLV2MP3: Converts FLV to MP3. One click converter.

Vconvert: This website is very similar with ConvertTube.

Vconvert service

Offline tools

To convert FLV into another video format you can use MPlayer’s MEncoder: MEncoder is an all-purpose encoder that is part of MPlayer, a movie player which runs on many systems. It plays most MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. MEncoder is command-line based with limited GUI. It supports wide range of file formats as MPlayer, and it also enable format conversion to be done in x86, Unix, Linux, Red Hat, Mac OS X and other non-x86 system.

Example of command line MEncode syntax:

mencoder input.flv -ofps 15 -vf scale=300:-2 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64 -o output.avi

ffmpeg is a command line tool to convert one video file format to another. It also supports grabbing and encoding in real time from a TV card. Ubuntu users can install it by command apt-get install ffmpeg.

Example of command converting FLV into MPG:

ffmpeg -i jokes.flv -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320×240 jokes.mpg

You may also be interested in:
Inimitable wallpapers, icons and themes for Linux
Search specific file types with Google
Keep contacts and calendar/datebook of Motorola Razr V3 saved
Google calendar and Linux Evolution sync

1. Pingback : Video conference between Linux and Windows | Linux Screw

2. September 10, 2007  7:19 am by Daniel Reply

I couldn't understand some parts of this article o.us poetry, but I guess I just need to check some more resources regarding this, because it sounds interesting.

3. October 13, 2007  7:12 pm by lx Reply

a nice, simple python script that and converts to mpg from the commandline.

Thank you, Crouse!

--------

#!/bin/bash

# by Crouse

# Program name ytr = YouTube.com Ripper

baseurl="http://youtube.com/get_video.php?"

mkdir -p ~/YouTube ;

mkdir -p ~/YouTube/tmp ;

cd ~/YouTube/tmp ;

read -p "What is the youtube.com url you want to rip ? " urltorip ;

read -p "What would you like to name the video (no spaces in the name) ? " nameofvideo ;

wget ${urltorip} -O urlsource.txt ;

grep "watch_fullscreen" urlsource.txt > url.info;

videourl=`sed "s;.*(video_id.+)&title.*;1;" url.info`;

fullurl=${baseurl}${videourl};

echo ${fullurl};

rm *;

wget ${fullurl};

mv * *.flv;

echo "Now converting the file to mpeg ... this can take awhile, please be patient" ;

ffmpeg -i *.flv -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320x240 ${nameofvideo}.mpg;

mv *.mpg ../;

rm -Rf ~/YouTube/tmp;

exit

4. October 14, 2007  11:01 am by artiomix Reply

Thanks, lx! Nice BASH script :)

5. November 6, 2007  7:19 pm by oliver Reply

Hi
    How do i use the script above what programming language is it in
    Thanks

6. November 6, 2007  9:11 pm by artiomix Reply

Hi Oliver,

To use this script you should create executable file by commands:

touch /tmp/script.sh
    chmod +x /tmp/script.sh

then edit this file with your favourite text editor:

nano /tmp/script.sh

and insert above mentioned code into it (see lx's comment).
    Once it's saved it's time to start it by executing command:

/tmp/script.sh

Hope it helps!

7. January 16, 2008  11:18 pm by Paul Reply

Thanks for the script!

8. January 26, 2008  2:02 pm by Larry Reply

I was able to run script successfully...but could not located where the file saved to

9. January 26, 2008  6:02 pm by Paul Reply

You should have a 'You Tube' folder within your home folder that was created when you ran the script.

10. January 26, 2008  6:04 pm by Paul Reply

I had an issue with the audio when I used ffmpeg, but Kino converts these .flv files to mpeg just fine.

11. March 12, 2008  6:59 am by antonio ramirez Reply

Hi there, I have recently created an online tool to search among best video providers all at once. It has also an option where they can download the videos... your opinion would be highly appreciated.

The site is http://www.antcut.com

12. May 28, 2008  10:39 am by Yannvolt Reply

Very helpful indeed. I have known vixy.net only and this article helped me find an array of other similar tools. Thanks.

13. January 21, 2009  12:41 am by OffismGof Reply

I am unable to understand this post. But well some points are useful for me.

14. January 21, 2009  11:50 am by mike Reply

Try Online Video Converter

Supports many sites and is easy to use!

You can download directly the flv or convert it into:

mp4, avi, mov, wmv, 3gp, aiff, mp3, wav, wma, ogg

15. March 1, 2009  10:07 pm by Rafferty Reply

well said, finally a good report on this stuff

16. March 5, 2009  4:55 am by Johnathan Reply

Please, can you PM me and tell me few more thinks about this, I am really fan of your blog...gets solved properly asap.

17. April 15, 2009  2:46 pm by How to Get Six Pack Fast Reply

After reading this article, I just feel that I need more information on the topic. Can you share some more resources ?

18. April 29, 2009  12:20 am by Scott Reply

Hey.. u ve a wonderful site out here.... i'm reading all ur posts...

19. December 22, 2009  11:40 am by dq Reply

need help....

i want to make the simple phyton script for convert any format video to mp4 that i can connect to my web video streaming to directly compress video when i upload the video.

20. April 2, 2010  1:47 am by Latoya Reply

Hello there, Happy Fool's Day!!!

Grandpa was celebrating his 100th birthday and everybody complimented him on how athletic and well-preserved he appeared.

"Gentlemen, I will tell you the secret of my success," he cackled. "I have been in the open air day after day for some 75 years now."

The celebrants were impressed and asked how he managed to keep up his rigorous fitness regime.

"Well, you see, my wife and I were married 75 years ago. On our wedding night, we made a solemn pledge. Whenever we had a fight, the one who was proved wrong would go outside and take a walk."

Happy April Fool's Day!

21. May 22, 2010  1:49 pm by Eldridge Oneil Reply

Hi there may I quote some of the insight found in this post if I link back to you?

22. June 21, 2010  9:30 pm by convert youtube to m Reply

heya! do you know where I can download the gremlins theme song (mp3)?, thank you..! Mike.

23. October 11, 2010  2:56 pm by Hosea Vullo Reply

I don't think that you can replace the pleasure of enjoying live poker seeing the doubts and faces of your players, though online poker is a much better way to hone your skills

24. October 30, 2010  12:41 pm by Player Profiles Reply

Best you should make changes to the webpage subject title Download and convert YouTuber video online and offline - Linux * Screw to more catching for your content you create. I loved the blog post however.

25. Pingback : RealTime - Questions: "What virtual drive will allow me to mount an avi file onto it?"