apache logoab is a tool for benchmarking your Apache HTTP server. It is designed to give an impression of how Apache installation performs. This especially shows how many requests per second certain Apache installation is capable to serve.

Manual of ab is rather extensive, so here is just useful example of it’s usage:

ab -n 100 ubuntu.com/

Complete requests: 100
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Non-2xx responses: 100

Total transferred: 49000 bytes
HTML transferred: 28100 bytes
Requests per second: 4.53 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 220.872 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 220.872 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 2.13 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 88 100 5.5 100 133
Processing: 113 119 4.3 118 132
Waiting: 111 116 4.4 115 128
Total: 205 220 9.0 219 259

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 219
66% 222
75% 230
80% 231
90% 231
95% 234
98% 239
99% 259
100% 259 (longest request)

I found this utility very useful to check performance of newly installed and configured Apache (httpd).

1. November 18, 2007  3:03 am by Greg Reply

It looks very useful but am I supposed to run it from my server where Apache is installed or locally? If locally how can I install this program without installing all of Apache?

2. January 25, 2008  5:10 pm by CAJAX! Reply

Just download ab and run it.

3. April 28, 2009  2:47 pm by jith Reply

It is a very good tool for optimizing the apache webserver.
    thankyou
    please include the detail description for that tool.
    that is what the out put showing... .

4. June 1, 2009  8:43 am by uma mahesh varma Reply

Thank You, it helps a lot to check the performance issues for all web applications.

Uma.

5. February 17, 2011  4:26 pm by jobs in graphic design Reply

I completely accept as true with everything you have mentioned. Actually, I browsed throughout your several other blogposts and I'm sure you happen to be certainly right. Congrats with this site.

6. March 11, 2011  4:05 am by futon omote arnaque Reply

Hey, you used to write excellent posts, but the last several posts have been kinda boring... I miss your tremendous posts. Past several posts are just a little out of track!

7. May 3, 2011  5:43 pm by Comparateur d'Avis Reply

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

8. March 23, 2012  12:36 am by BankCardUSA Reply

i like the theme and colors that you used for your blog, is it a custom theme ? ,.`*`