itunes logoiTunes is a media player that is available only for Windows and Mac OS X but also can be run in Linux with Wine. Certainly we’re interested in latter operating system :) . The following manual shows how to get iTunes 7.2 running in Linux with wine 0.9.45.

To install latest version of wine download corresponding binary package for you Linux distribution from here. Packages for Ubuntu Feisty are available here.

1. Install deb package:
    sudo dpkg -i wine_0.9.45~winehq0~ubuntu~7.04-1_i386.deb
  2. Configure by running winecfg command in terminal:
    • In Applications tab, choose Windows XP option.
    • In Drivers tab, click Autodetect button.
    • In Audio tab, check ALSA Driver and uncheck OSS Driver.

Then click OK button.

After wine is installed we should get latest iTunes from here and get it installed.

1. Run in terminal:
    wine iTunesSetup.exe
  2. Install iTunes as you do it in Windows or Mac OS X
  3. Run it with command:
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe

itunes in linux

Screenshot is taken from here.

Update: recently I came across really comprehensive post about how to run iTunes in Ubuntu/Linux. The author tells there about all known approaches to gain access to iTunes under Ubuntu/Linux. The post can be found here.

Information improvisation: Try out our free 642-661 and latest 642-983 training courses to get high flying success in final 642-617 & 642-415 exams; JN0-332 is also very useful tool.

1. September 21, 2007  11:33 am by Cesare Reply

sidux

2. September 27, 2007  1:53 am by RICARDO Reply

el comando no es "vino" sino wine

3. September 27, 2007  7:41 am by artiomix Reply

Thanks for your comment, RICARDO! :)

4. October 9, 2007  10:52 pm by ovidiu Reply

hello, I get lots of errors and the install fails. would you mind having a look if I can send you the output from the terminal where I ran wine iTunes743Setup.exe from?

5. October 10, 2007  8:15 am by artiomix Reply

Hi ovidiu,

I've tested iTunes with wine 0.9.46 under my Ubuntu Gutsy and it works normally. I suppose errors you've noted are caused by wine and iTunes versions incompatibility. Try iTunes 7.2 with wine 0.9.45 as it's described in the post and let us know results. 7.2 can be fetched from here.

P.S. Which wine version do you try when get errors? Feel free to send me output via e-mail.

6. November 7, 2007  3:21 pm by tivasyk Reply

wow... itunes over linux? amarok rulez.

7. November 7, 2007  3:46 pm by artiomix Reply

Hi Tivasyk,

amarok? exaile! ;)

8. November 20, 2007  9:12 pm by Rob Reply

The installation went fine for me, but when I run it, nothing happens. Any ideas?

9. November 20, 2007  10:22 pm by artiomix Reply

Hir Rob,

I would recommend to run iTunes.exe with Wine from command line instead of via regular desktop launcher. Just copy launcher command and run it with your favorite terminal. It will help you to see what errors messages wine will report when trying to start iTunes.

10. March 27, 2008  5:33 pm by leroi Reply

Hello artiomix,

I ran iTunes.exe with Wine from the terminal line like it was said and nothing happened after that. It just produced a long list of lines stating Register dump, Stack dump, and Backtrace. What else there is to do after that?

11. April 8, 2008  11:38 pm by Ticus Reply

nice... but does it work like windows or mac? I mean can you transfer music and videos?

12. April 17, 2008  8:47 pm by Christopher Reply

Yeah, this'd probably work except that all the latest versions of iTunes install auto-update regardless of whether you check the box or not, and my ubuntu hangs at registering for the automation server. Damn their eyes. =1 When do you think they're gonna get around to supporting their hardware (iPods) on Ubuntu and other linux distros by compiling a working version? Probably never, since they'd have to release some of the source code for that to happen... Bastids.

13. April 17, 2008  10:00 pm by Ticus Reply

It dosn't work with my Ipod classic, some body told me that it works on earlier Ipods

14. May 16, 2008  5:46 am by skino Reply

GUys while I was trying to install iTune I got this

Whotta hell is this?????

15. June 7, 2008  10:25 pm by Manuel Reply

I just followed along (except i did apt-get wine). It hanged at the Registration ... So I killed the terminal and tried launching it, I though it was hanged but fortunate enough I got a visitor, when I got back to the computer (like 5 minutes later) it was at the Setup screen (the one that asks about importing and all that) so I realized it was working, just VERY SLOWLY ..

I got it to work (100%) is just that it is like if it was in a TIME TRAP ..

So, conclusion.. it is in-operable since it becomes un-responsive with every click.. music plays fine but it takes 10 times the normal time to do anything it takes on my Mac.

Again, I have no idea how it would work on Windows, since I do not have a windows PC, so this was a great exercise, but FUTILE.. nice to know it works, but that is it.

Good luck

Summary:

sudo apt-get install wine

winecfg

I cd into my Desktop (just to SEE the file I was about to download, but it is not necessary

wget http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.i...

wine iTunesSetup.exe (here is where it hanged up, give it some time, but if it fails just close the terminal window)

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe (and fill yourself with patience)

Good luck

16. June 23, 2008  9:24 am by trgz Reply

got a whole load of errors including:

wine: could not load L"C:\windows\system32\iTunesSetup.exe": Module not found

paul@paul-desktop:~$ err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000

17. July 11, 2008  4:43 pm by Thiago Reply

It worked fine with me.

I'm running Fedora 9 and using wine 1.0-1.fc9 and itunes 7.7. The installation went well, I could even access the itunes store. I haven't tried to sync my ipod yet, but so far...

Thanks artiomix

18. Pingback : If Linux supported DirectX / Mainstream games - Page 25 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

19. August 1, 2008  12:35 am by Bp Reply

I can't get my ipod to show up in itunes. It only shows on the desk top. Rhythmbox does open and play music from it. Is there a way to get the ipod to show up in itunes?

Thanks

20. August 25, 2008  10:23 pm by Nikolaus Reply

Well I just tried your instructions, using Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10a4) and wine_1.1.3~winehq0~ubuntu~8.04-0ubuntu1_i386.deb and it worked!! Thank you very much.

21. December 12, 2008  9:01 pm by Alex Reply

Thank you you are a great Maestro. Thank you

22. December 29, 2008  7:07 pm by mega man Reply

if you cant get your ipod to show go to sympathetic package manager and download gtkpod

23. January 31, 2009  7:46 pm by Doug1as Reply

Hey guys, I just started using linux and I have fedora 10

im not quiet sure how you do step :

sudo dpkg -i wine_0.9.45~winehq0~ubuntu~7.04-1_i386.deb

like do I input it some where or?

24. February 12, 2009  11:57 pm by christian Reply