Here is a downloadable copy of book “Open XML Explained“.

As you can see, initially this post provided link to e-book for Microsoft’s Open XML (actually there is nothing open there except empty word in it’s name) format developers. But due to righteous criticism the link was removed.

ODF format specifications are available here and here. If it happened so that you have to use M$ Office (in this case I sympathize with you), here is nice utility to get ODF working there (thanks to Wolfgang Lonien for the link).

The OpenDocument format (ODF, ISO/IEC 26300, full name: OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications) is a file format for electronic office documents, such as spreadsheets, charts, presentations and word processing documents. The standard oasis logowas developed by the Open Office XML technical committee of the Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) consortium and based on the XML format originally created and implemented by the OpenOffice.org office suite (see OpenOffice.org XML). As well as an OASIS Standard, it is a published ISO and IEC International Standard, ISO/IEC 26300:2006. The OpenDocument standard meets the common definitions of an open standard, meaning the specification is freely available and implementable.

1. October 10, 2007  2:17 pm by Michael Rudas Reply

Why are you carrying Microsoft's water? Or, worse yet, using MS's water to douse open document standards? There is nothing "open" about Open XML-- except the obviousness of the blatant and naked attempt to hijack the document standards process.

Even Microsoft themselves have admitted-- in print-- that they are not obligated to adhere to a standard that THEY THEMSELVES developed. Why should WE waste our time with it?

-- MRudas

2. October 10, 2007  2:35 pm by artiomix Reply

Hi Michael Rudas,

First, thank you for commenting.

Second, I completely agree with you that there is nothing open in "Open XML" and ODF is better but I still think that downloadable copy of the above mentioned book would save some money of OpenXML developers. And I don't want to incline anybody to use Microsoft's format instead of ODF.

P.S. Microsoft sucks! Are you satisfied now? :)

3. October 10, 2007  7:17 pm by wjl (Wolfgang Lonien Reply

Hi Artiomix,

I really like your blog and recommend it wherever I can - but I think here Michael is right. We shouldn't support OXML, but rather point to resources like http://blogs.sun.com/malte/entry/sun_odf_plugin_1... to help those who have to use M$ stuff at work.

Anyway, thanks for all your great work - it's appreciated!

4. October 10, 2007  8:05 pm by artiomix Reply

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for compliments, I'm doing my best to get Linux Screw more and more informative and helpful for it's visitors.

P.S. Please see updated post ;)

5. October 10, 2007  9:48 pm by wjl (Wolfgang Lonien Reply

Yeah, great! You should post this one to LXer.com - or any of your other good entries.

Thanks a lot!

cheers,

wjl

6. April 28, 2011  1:59 pm by insurance professional indemnity Reply

I think other website owners should take this website as an model - very clean and great style and design, as well as the content. You're an expert in this topic!

7. April 28, 2011  7:58 pm by pest control Reply

I am very happy to read this. This is the type of info that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that is at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc.

8. June 8, 2011  7:12 pm by Lilliana Louth Reply

Took me time to read all the comments, however I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am positive to all or any the commenters here! It is often nice when you'll be able to not only learn, however additionally engaged! I'm positive you had joy inscribing this article.

9. September 17, 2012  12:45 pm by icon archive Reply

You commit an error. I suggest it to discuss. Writs to me in PM.

P.S. Please review icons