Packet Tracer is Cisco Network Simulation Software that is natively available for Micro$oft Windows users only. But thanks to Wine project we can use it in Linux as well.

Packet Tracer is a self-paced, visual, interactive teaching and learning tool. It is designed to increase interaction between students and instructors, promote student learning, and enhance instructor presentations. This technology is a new and fun way to expand teaching and learning experiences beyond the limitations of a traditional lab environment. Packet Tracer helps resolve some common challenges that instructors face on a daily basis, while enabling us to explore new frontiers in networking education.

To install Wine just use package manager of your Linux distro or compile it from sources. For example, to install Wine on Ubuntu that is my preferred distribution, it’s enough to run command: sudo aptitude install wine (Fedora users should run sudo yum install wine and so on). Before use Wine I recommend to get familiar with this howto.

After Wine is installed, just run winecfg with your favorite terminal emulator like gnome-terminal and set up Wine as you wish. Actually you can leave setting as they are but first run of winecfg is necessary after installation of Wine (it will create folder ~/.wine that will contain Windows applications you install and run).

To install Packet Tracer 4.1 (or any other version) just run:
wine /path/to/PacketTracer_setup.exe
and proceed installation as you’re running it with Windows. Errors like:

fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x34fea0) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:process:IsWow64Process (0xffffffff 0x34fe9c) stub!
fixme:advapi:CheckTokenMembership ((nil) 0x170240 0x34fe1c) stub!
err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination

are usual thing when you run Windows applications with Wine.

packet tracer 4.1 installation on Ubuntu Linux

After installation is finished you can run Packet Tracer by clicking on shortcut that was created by Setup program or run:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Packet\ Tracer\ 4.1/bin/PacketTracer4.exe
Packet tracer 4.1 on Ubuntu Linux (depends on which path you’ve chosen during the setup procedure).

And that’s it, you can use Packet Tracer in Linux now!

Information improvisation: We offer up to date practice questions for 1z0-053 exam and 1z0-451. We also provide your 000-979 with highest score using up to date products of 650-177 & C-TADM51-70 are not a challenge for everyone.

1. July 16, 2010  6:55 am by Teklay Reply

I followed this procedure and it worked perfectly for me
    thanks

2. Pingback : Run Cisco Packet Tracer in Ubuntu - Ubuntuka

3. Pingback : Access to real Cisco routers and switches for free @ ponc0.info

4. September 13, 2010  3:05 pm by Asdaa Reply

How to uninstall programs from wine ? I've tried installing skype on wine but its not working don't have a clue!
    Thanks for the nice tutorial !

5. September 19, 2010  5:05 pm by Marcel Reply

For all those of you having issues with any errors in WINE, I have an easy fix

Install Virtual Box

Install Windows 7

Install Packet Tracer for Windows...DONE

6. September 23, 2010  6:39 pm by Joe Reply

Does anyone know of a 64bit Linux version? I see all the links above are all i386 and even though I was able to install v5.2 i386 on my 9.10 64bit, I know people are having problems doing what I did using 10.04 64bit (Marcel). A 64bit version of packet tracer would solve this I assume.

7. February 8, 2011  1:11 pm by Daniel Reply

A big thank you to Cyla - great post
    I got packet tracer to work in Mandriva without issue - native install!
    as per link :

One quick question - anyone know where i can find the Tutorials add-on for linux(RPM).
    The link below provided by Cyla is no longer available;
    Tutorials: http://rapidshare.com/files/297950514/PacketTracer52_tutorials_addon.tar.gz

Pretty please - i want the tutorials!

Please don advise to run with windows - virtual or not - I will do anything to not use windows!

Thanks in advance,

8. April 15, 2011  2:32 am by apteka Reply

It is located at New Marine lines, one of the busiest parts of Mumbai. It is near the Wankhede

9. May 29, 2011  7:06 pm by NUDE Reply

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog. Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

10. May 30, 2011  6:36 pm by colothin side effects Reply

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?

11. April 13, 2012  3:20 pm by Hoang Nguyen Reply

Thanks for any other informative site. The place else may just I get that type of information written in such an ideal method? I've a venture that I'm simply now running on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

12. September 17, 2012  1:22 pm by icon archive Reply

I consider, that you are not right. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM.

P.S. Please review icons