dell 1501As many other Ubuntu users several days ago I’ve upgraded my Feisty to Gutsy at my Dell Inspiron 1501.

Unfortunately many things that worked for me in Feisty doesn’t work in Gutsy just after upgrading. Among them are: suspend/hibernate and brightness adjustment. At this moment I’m trying to get these features working and certainly share results here but not workable brightness adjustment really disturbed me. So, until I didn’t find a solution how to adjust LCD brightness with keyboard, there is nice workaround: execute the following command with root rights (sudo -s to get it):

echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

This will make you LCD screen as bright as possible and you can proceed with your work (like me :) ). To lower brightness just replace 100 with another value like 62 and watch the results.

Hope it helps!

Information improvisation: If you are looking for fast success in then join today to find complete resources and pass passguide certifications on first try. A person can pick & s and more visit Best Wishes.

1. Pingback : Personal Computers and Tech News » Ajust LCD brightness from command line (works at Dell 1501)

2. Pingback : eraser’s blog » Blog Archive » Ajust LCD brightness from command line (works at Dell 1501)

3. October 27, 2007  6:58 am by vivek Reply

Nice tip :)

4. Pingback : dell » Ajust LCD brightness from command line (works at Dell 1501)

5. November 11, 2007  7:27 am by aruvoski Reply

6. November 12, 2007  9:06 am by artiomix Reply

Hi aruvoski,

In your Ubuntu:
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Then type `sudo -s` and enter your password. After you've got prompt like ~#, you can type:

echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    to adjust LCD brightness where 100 is maximum value and 62 is minimum.

Hope it helps! :)

P.S. You're welcome to ask any related questions here ;)

7. January 10, 2008  3:34 pm by Cristian Navalici Reply

Pay attention that you might have GLX instead of VGA as in:

Anyway, this is a 'cool' tip. Thanks for it!

8. January 10, 2008  7:25 pm by Jillian Reply

oh good lord THANK YOU

i have been trying to figure this out for weeks.

9. January 10, 2008  9:50 pm by artiomix Reply

Hey everybody, thanks for your comments! :)

10. January 24, 2008  3:56 pm by Rasha Reply

I have a Dell Latitude C610 and I've tried running the line in Ubuntu tho I had to modify as my line is /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness. But it's saying the command is unknown.

11. January 24, 2008  8:28 pm by artiomix Reply

Hello Rasha,

try this:

<code>sudo -s</code> or <code>su</code>

<code>echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness</code>

12. February 6, 2008  6:55 am by Satish Vellanki Reply

No luck for me :-(

# echo -n 50 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

What could be wrong?

13. February 18, 2008  6:01 pm by ross Reply

turn off acpi and it will work with fn keys

14. February 18, 2008  6:02 pm by ross Reply

it might only work on opensuse. when you do this kpowersave doesnt work

15. February 23, 2008  5:57 pm by animatt Reply

Try running cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

This will show supported brightness levels.

Running it on my monitor gives

root@Gateway-M-Series:/home/animatt# cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightnesslevels: 100 37 12 25 37 50 62 75 87 100

current: 12

16. March 3, 2008  4:04 am by Alex Reply

Thanks for posting this info. Every day, I learn something new about using linux. Much more fun than M$ Win!

Seems to me this could easily be put in a script that would read the current setting and go up or down depending on which name it was called with.

I'm going to work on it for myself and post it back here in case anyone else is interested.

Can all of the hardware be controlled via the /proc dir?

Thanks again for the pointer. :-)

17. March 4, 2008  4:14 am by Alex Reply

The following is working nicely for me:

# adjust lcd brightness on Dell Inspiron 1501 - 080303 Alex P Janssen Jr -

# Save this script to a file named in /home/yourusername/bin

# Make it executable: chmod +x

# Save yourself having to run it in a terminal and enter your password each time

# edit sudoers: sudo visudo

# add to sudoers: yourusername ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/bin/bash

# save and exit

# link brightup and brightdn to

# ln -s /home/yourusername/bin/ /home/yourusername/bin/brightup

# ln -s /home/yourusername/bin/ /home/yourusername/bin/brightdn

# Add a couple of custum launchers to your panel ( I run Gnome )

# Right-click the panel and select Add to Panel

# Click Custom Launcher

# Type=Application, Name=Darker, Command=sudo bash -c /home/apjjr/bin/brightdn

# Select a down-arrow for an icon and Close

# Do the same for brightup, except set the name to Lighter and pick an up-arrow

# check our id

#echo `id`

ourname=`basename "$ourname"`

xx=`cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness | grep current | cut -c 9-`

curbright=`echo $xx`

# check process name and current brightness setting

#echo "${ourname},${curbright}:"

for i in `cat $FILE | grep levels | cut -c 17-`; do

if [[ $i -eq $current && "$1" == "-" ]]; then

echo -n $prev > $FILE

elif [ $i -gt $current ]; then

echo -n $i > $FILE ;

Bdown (){ Bup -; }

(Just make sure the line FILE=/proc/acpi/video/... points to your correct file.)

This way, I can type in a terminal "Bup" or "Bdown" to set the brightness up or down.

19. October 17, 2008  12:23 pm by Geoffroy Reply

This has worked for me in the directory, for me
    and I did the command
    echo -n 100> brightness
    in my directory.
    Don't forget to change the rights and owner for the file brightness

Thanks for this artiomix:
    " echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    to adjust LCD brightness where 100 is maximum value and 62 is minimum.
    Hope it helps! :)"

20. December 26, 2008  11:21 am by Ohnoesmilk Reply

thank you so much!!! you saved my eyes from burning! :D

21. March 1, 2009  1:55 pm by Radha Reply

guys do this work on windows?

i need to know pls make me know the fast you can my email is

22. October 14, 2009  2:35 am by Dan Reply

Is there anyway to control the brightness on an LCD panel monitor for a desktop. Mine is too bright and there is no video folder. I'm sure this is possible as when the computer is left idle it gradually dims until it goes blank. There must be a way to dim the screen a set amount.

23. November 6, 2009  9:52 pm by ???????? ????? Reply

??? ??? ??????? ????????? ?? ????. ??? ???????? ?????? ??????????????.

24. November 29, 2009  12:27 pm by Benneh Reply