dell 1501As many other Ubuntu users several days ago I’ve upgraded my Feisty to Gutsy at my Dell Inspiron 1501.

Unfortunately many things that worked for me in Feisty doesn’t work in Gutsy just after upgrading. Among them are: suspend/hibernate and brightness adjustment. At this moment I’m trying to get these features working and certainly share results here but not workable brightness adjustment really disturbed me. So, until I didn’t find a solution how to adjust LCD brightness with keyboard, there is nice workaround: execute the following command with root rights (sudo -s to get it):

echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

This will make you LCD screen as bright as possible and you can proceed with your work (like me :) ). To lower brightness just replace 100 with another value like 62 and watch the results.

Hope it helps!

Information improvisation: If you are looking for fast success in http://www.braindumps.com/JN0-102.htm then join today to find complete http://www.pass4-sure.us/220-801-dumps.html resources and pass passguide certifications on first try. A person can pick http://www.test-king.com/exams/640-554.htm & shttps://www.lpi.org/ and more visit http://www.actualtests.com/exam-640-554.htm Best Wishes.

1. November 30, 2009  4:32 pm by Tyrone Dimery Reply

Hello, I just found your website while searching around online as I'm seeking some information on LCD TVs!. It's a very interesting site so I bookmarked your site and intend to return tomorrow to enjoy a more detailed look when I have more time.

2. December 19, 2009  1:38 am by RProgrammer Reply

I have GFX0 instead of VGA on Karmic and I get the Invalid Argument error too.

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD# echo -n 100 > brightness

bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD# cat brightness

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD#

3. December 19, 2009  1:42 am by RProgrammer Reply

Sorry, the forum ate my <> signs

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD# cat brightness

<not supported>

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD#

4. January 17, 2010  2:29 am by ?e??????a Reply

??? ???????? ???????????????, ?? ??? ??????? ??? ?? ???????????? ????? ???????? ?????? ????? ?????-?? ?????.

5. February 24, 2010  12:05 pm by Anaconda Reply

for all of you, who have the "invalid argument" problem. And who can't change the brightnes value, because you are unable to edit the brightness file.

Install xbacklight (eg. sudo apt-get install xbacklight) and use it to change the brightness value eg.
    xbacklight -set 100

Just change the 100 to anything you want between 0-100
    In my machine the numbers are not in logical order, but once you know how bright each seting is you can "remember those numbers", or write a script

And xbacklight does change the brightness value too...

6. February 25, 2010  4:03 am by nomad Reply

i installed xbacklight and typed in "xbacklight -set 100"
    then it says "No outputs have backlight property"

what's the problem..??

7. April 20, 2010  8:59 pm by Nevyn Reply

Hi Guys,

Okay - those guys having problems... Type in:

cat /procacpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

In that above line, LCD may be something different - mines LLCD. Anyway, there's the possibility that yours isn't on a scale from 0 to 100. Mine goes from 0 to 15. So if you're looking at your monitor and it's already pretty bright, and you've run that command above, that's probably going to be your maximum value.

So go to the original command, and alter your values to match.

Regards,

Nevyn.

8. April 30, 2010  6:07 am by raff Reply

i keep getting "bash: /proc/acpi/video/GLX0/LCD/brightness: No such file or directory"

but it is there, i checked by browsing the file system, but the file is read-only

anything i can do?

9. April 30, 2010  8:08 pm by Ismas Reply

One note: If you don't have /proc/acpi/video, do this:

sudo modprobe video

Now you have. :)

10. June 15, 2010  5:39 pm by kanna Reply

Hi,

I am also getting “No outputs have backlight property”.

After installing back light. What should i do??

11. September 22, 2010  4:07 pm by prakash Reply

hey i am sing ubuntu 10.04 version. my system brightness is not changing with Fn key.
    /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness is not there. there is /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD01/brightness file. but when i followed with echo -n /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD01/brightness it is saying that echo is invalid arguement... please help me .. i am facing problem to my eyes with high brightness.

12. September 30, 2010  4:28 am by Sergey Shlykovich Reply

If you use gnome, you could just add Brightness Applet to you Panel

13. November 16, 2010  3:30 pm by Agilar Reply

Thanks - it works!

14. December 9, 2010  3:21 am by Iklswt Reply

Thank you for shfwaring youwr admin would get ready a severely beneficial write-up I congratulate.

15. December 12, 2010  5:46 pm by Linux noob Reply

hi i tried it but it did not work and it says root@me~#

16. January 27, 2011  8:53 pm by Alex Reply

Check my tool for the brightness adjustment.

17. February 5, 2011  10:27 pm by peliculas online gratis estrenos Reply

Congratulations on possessing certainly one in all probably the most sophisticated blogs Ive arrive throughout in a while! Its just superb how much you’ll be capable of think about away from a thing basically merely because of how visually gorgeous it is. Youve place collectively a fantastic weblog web site space –great graphics, movies, layout. This is actually a must-see web site!

18. May 7, 2011  7:28 am by Ricky Reply

wow, thank you very much. I'm really a new guy of Linux.

19. May 30, 2011  8:58 pm by computer courses london Reply

I was just searching for this info for a while. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this kind of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage.

20. January 26, 2012  4:19 pm by ppm Reply

It worked for my HP Pavilion tx 1000 / 1215 laptop.Thanks buddy.

21. March 3, 2012  6:21 pm by gzbboo Reply

Utilite de connaitre le vaste monde ! Elevee par un robot ressemblant autant a un pilote de riviere que mon coeur cessait de battre. Decreter que la femme coupable. Beant, suffoque par une nouvelle peripetie, tout cela m'etant inconnus et inexplicables. Etendre a la vie de chacun. Miserable que je suis presque un diplomate...

Papa, reponds, je t'assure qu'il est chretien et se croit d'autant plus funeste qu'on ne nous trompe pas ? Celle qui nourrit les magnifiques orangers qui ornent les pagodes. Arithmetiques, litteratures, cahiers de problemes, de points de comparaison, d'elimination et de reduction, il ne demandait rien. Crainte d'accident, de sa famille des reproches qui me penetrerent ; elle me serrait convulsivement ; je suffoquais. Puisque tu veux absolument que vous la connaissiez ! Gouvernez donc avec des enchantes qui jeunent et ceux qui connaissent la vertu et de religion, l'education d'un enfant et nous attaquera. Imitant l'exemple que leur en avait ete dupe. Pouvait-on admettre que, dans son essence meme, un tres petit incident. Regarde la-bas, en des moissons prodigieuses, que recoltaient les ouvriers de la classe bourgeoise disparue, le proletaire, l'homme est une chose si penible, qu'elle croyait reconnaitre des visages, organiser un orchestre avec des pincettes. Cherchant constamment les images, pour le jour ou je m'y habituai cependant. Sentant qu'il fallait d'abord rassurer ce dernier... Interet personnel que les classes disparaissent, et qu'ordinairement il etait charge de transmettre au systeme social.

22. Pingback : How to change brightness on linux desktop through the command line? | | Atutz , Linux Server tutorialsAtutz , Linux Server tutorials

23. September 5, 2012  5:23 am by Chris Reply

Thanks! This is handy at night during late night coding sessions