gos logoAs it comes from official site, gOS is alternative OS with for the masses. Actually it’s open source operating system that is based on Linux kernel and would be built to include Google Apps..

gos screenshot

Wikipedia describes gOS as a Linux distribution created by gOS LLC, a Los Angeles-based corporation. The company advertises it as “An alternative OS with Google Apps and other Web 2.0 apps for the masses.”.

gOS is based on the Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) distribution and uses the Enlightenment 17 window manager to lower memory and speed requirements. It first appeared as preinstalled OS on the Everex Green gPC TC2502 sold at Wal-Mart. Primary feature is its usage of a Mac-like Dock featuring icons linking to various web applications such as Google Docs, Wikipedia, and Gmail, as well as local applications such as GIMP and Skype.

Live CD ISO image is already here
You may also wonder where to ask questions regarding gOS, here is Official Forum. :D

1. Pingback : My Ghillie » gOS: operating system with Google Apps

2. Pingback : openswitch » gOS

3. November 2, 2007  6:50 pm by Konrad Reply

Yeah I saw this, it looks quite interesting. I had a look at what desktop manager is powering it and it turns out to be enlightment (E17 probably). This looks like quite a promising manager as it combines both a minimalistic approach with lots of nice features like gadgets etc. It is a bit of a chore to install as you have to do it from the source and recomplie. What complicates things is that it has been a bit of time since the last release and some of the dependancies the scripts rely on have either been upgraded / changed in name or broken.

I am throwing together something on my website about this. :)

4. November 3, 2007  2:55 am by Ross Reply

It's not bad. Fairly speedy, but (imo) probably a bit confusing for anyone coming from Windows. The single-click-on-desktop menu takes getting used to (tho I'm sure it can be disabled). Comes with everything you'd need tho, full Open Office suite, media player (rhythmbox) etc. Exactly as they imply, it sure is Google integrated.

5. November 3, 2007  9:51 am by artiomix Reply

Hi All,

Seems to be that gOS becomes popular as their http server is down :(. Here is alternative URL of their ISO image:

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for your Enlightenment DR17 installation guide for Ubuntu Feisty...

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your little review, it's highly appreciated! :D

6. November 3, 2007  11:20 am by Ejes Reply

I also enjoy that the gOS people have a $60 development kit :)

7. November 5, 2007  9:38 pm by Konrad Reply

Ejes, whats this about a dev kit?

8. Pingback : /home/zero

9. Pingback : KHIMICH

10. Pingback : Tech, How to, Computer, Linux, Dog, Make Money Online with AhTim

11. April 16, 2011  8:21 am by kelly clarkson Reply

Many thanks for posting this, It?s simply what I was researching for on bing. I?d quite a bit relatively hear opinions from an individual, barely than a company web web page, that?s why I like blogs so significantly. Many thanks!

12. April 29, 2011  9:58 am by best android tablet Reply

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?

13. May 7, 2011  12:04 pm by microsoft exchange server Reply

Can I just say what a reduction to search out <a href=”http://www.exchangemymail.com”>microsoft exchange serversomeone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know learn how to convey a problem to light and make it important. More people must learn this and understand this facet of the story. I cant believe youre not more standard because you undoubtedly have the gift.

14. May 21, 2011  2:30 pm by monitoring software Reply

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesn't disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you d have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you weren't too busy looking for attention.

15. May 26, 2011  5:30 pm by Los Angeles swimming pools Reply

I was more than happy http://www.allstatepools.com to seek out this web-site.I wished to thanks in your time for this wonderful read!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you blog post.

16. June 5, 2011  9:20 pm by great clips coupons 2011 ohio Reply

There are definitely loads of details like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice level to deliver up. I offer the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you convey up where the most important thing can be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around issues like that, but I am positive that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Both girls and boys feel the impression of only a moment’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.