Really interesting device was found today in the vast expanses of Internet. Company named Aleutia (established in London, 2006) sells extremely mini PC that consumes really small amount of energy (8 watts!!!), runs Linux and can be powered by sun! It’s named Aleutia E1 and is available starting at 180 £. See details below!

aleutia e1

aleutia e1 1

Seller announces the following product specifications (see detailed specs here):

• Processor: 200MHz x86 CPU, Memory: 128MB SDRAM, Storage: 2GB (included Compact Flash card), Power Supply (US, UK, or EU).
  • 3 x USB 2.0 ports (480Mbps transfer rate), 1 x 10/100 Ethernet port, VGA port to connect LCD display (supports resolutions up to 1280×1024)
  • Power consumption of 8W with CPU and SDRAM running at full speed. With external devices (USB 2.0 CD Rewriter, USB-powered hard drive) power consumption rises to 11W.
  • Dimensions: 11.5cm (Width) x 11.5cm (Lenght) x 3.5cm (Height)
  • Puppy Linux Operating System (version 2.14) – similar in appearance to MS Windows, stable, and pre-installed.
  • Excel-compatible spreadsheet software (Gnumeric), Word-compatible word processor (Abiword)

Looking at these specs and using Google it was discovered that Aleutia sells Norhtec‘s device The MicroClient Jr! Do you see the difference at the pictures below? Maybe hand? ;)

aleutia e1 front nortec front

By the way, Norhtec’s one is of 120$… From Norhtec’s site:

The MicroClient Jr. is a revolutionary device that is especially designed for installations having limited physical space and temperature concerns. It does not matter if you are in a jammed office, a crowded place, or public transportation – it can be easily integrated with a VESA LCD to bring you computer access at any time.

It can attach to any VESA mounting fixture, allowing it to be securely mounted onto desks, room walls, or buildings, and thereby optimizing your work area. It can also attach directly to LCDs of any size to create a mobile system for the use at trade shows, presentations, promotions, etc. Unlike the traditional laptop design, the MicroClient Jr. can be used with a large size LCD. Furthermore, with FANLESS design, MicroClient Jr. is ideal for use in hot climates without air conditioning.

Get more details on The MicroClient Jr. here… Sweeeet! :)

Information improvisation: If you are looking for fast success in JN0-343 exams then join today to explore complete HP2-T16 resources and pass HP2-E31 certification on first try. A person can chose 312-50 & HP0-J40 for his easiness.

1. December 3, 2007  8:38 pm by TyLLy_4 Reply

You have been stumbled upon my friend..

awsome idea, but it would have a lot more market if it had a little more juice .... 200MHZ can only do so much.

my question its! .... does the solar pannel also power the LCD?? and if not ... how come it does not have a mini display with low consumption.

2. December 3, 2007  9:04 pm by Konrad Reply

Nice find! Although I wonder how useful it will actually be as a fully featured client. How much energy does the monitor drink whilst running?

Also - I love those roll up / waterproof keyboards!

Good to see you back after your bandwidth woes ;)

3. December 3, 2007  9:09 pm by mike Reply

@TyLLy_4: headless?!?

4. December 3, 2007  9:12 pm by Konrad Reply

@Mike, if you look at the top screenshot it clearly shows a screen, I dont see what the point of a headless client would be if it runs Puppy linux to provide " similar in appearance to MS Windows,... Excel-compatible... Word-compatible word processor ..."

A headless client would not be setup this way? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick ;)

5. December 4, 2007  8:19 am by sarjuva Reply

180 is british £ , not euros (€).

6. December 4, 2007  7:19 pm by noname Reply

Is it capable of playing video streams and running a torrent client?

7. December 4, 2007  9:02 pm by Konrad Reply

Highly unlikely it would be able to output compressed video. It should be capable of video and low end torrenting though. I would use this as a basic web or email server and not much else personally...

8. December 4, 2007  9:31 pm by artiomix Reply

Hello All! Thanks for commenting at Linux Screw!

Konrad, my complements, I like your new blog, new theme is much better than previous one ;)

Hey Jim, thanks for incoming link and traffic :)

Sarjuva, nice notice, it's corrected now, thanks.

9. December 5, 2007  12:15 pm by Charlton Reply

The main problem with the Microclient Jr that I bought is that it is USB v1.

So this isn't exactly the same thing.

10. Pingback : PC de bajísimo consumo con Linux y panel solar « Mundo Linuxero

11. February 29, 2008  10:12 pm by Ammadtech Reply

Actually both Aleutia and Norhtec only brand. If you surf 'low cost mini pc' thru' google search you'll find out the owner of these cute PC is a another china supplier.

If I have a much money I also can 'rebrand' this PC to my very own brand.

12. August 1, 2008  3:13 pm by Ricard Reply

This PC has 3 ports USB 1.1 and no 2.0.

13. Pingback : The Inquirer ES : Ordenador de bajo consumo, energía solar y Linux… sorprendente

14. Pingback : Judy

15. Pingback : Hazel

16. Pingback : Katerina

17. Pingback : Rebecca

18. November 24, 2009  9:13 am by Buying a rowing mach Reply

This is such a special resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing web sites that envision the value of providing a supreme resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

19. January 28, 2010  6:55 am by Easy Article Rewriter Reply

Really cool post. I do agree with almost everything you talked about, but not quite all of it. Let's say I agree to disagree on a few points. Good stuff though.

20. February 2, 2010  1:36 pm by Rower Bob Reply

Good article. I've tried all types of exercise over the years, and always end up coming back to either rowing or cycling. I'm not a great swimmer but maybe I should work on that, and running messes my left knee up, but rowing machines I've never had a problem with.

21. Pingback : Solar powered ‘desktop PC’ | Solar Computing