Many systems administrators of LAN and WAN networks, which contain Windows, Mac and Linux hosts, once face the problem on how to securely transmit some data between these systems. It is always possible to use SCP when copying files between two Unix machines but what if you have to move files from Windows PC to Linux server for example? It’s nice to know that there are good guys who created tool for this operation named WinSCP.

winscp logoActually WINSCP is an open source free SFTP client and FTP client for Windows as it’s said on their site. The following features are supported:

• Graphical user interface
  • Translated into several languages
  • Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons)
  • U3 support
  • All common operations with files
  • Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol
  • Batch file scripting and command-line interface
  • Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways
  • Integrated text editor
  • Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication
  • Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH
  • Windows Explorer-like and Norton Commander-like interfaces
  • Optionally stores session information
  • Optionally supports standalone operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media

So, as not every computer runs Linux today yet, you are welcome to use WinSCP meanwhile :)

cyberduckThere are still many real programmers around the world and that’s why here is SFTP, SCP (any many other protocols) browser for MACs named CYBERDUCK. It makes no sense to list all features it supports here, so just visit their site to get surprised :)

P.S. Have a good transfer! ;)

1. April 7, 2008  5:43 pm by Konrad Reply

Good to see you are back :) I have used WinSCP before when uploading files to a remote webserver. It is solid and mature although I feel the GUI lacks something. Good post ;)

2. April 8, 2008  9:37 am by H4mm3r Reply

FYI, there is a franch open source Putty Connection manager http://puttycm.free.fr/ that is a good start for those like me that spends their time opening ssh to several boxes and sometimes concurrently.

3. April 8, 2008  9:45 am by artiomix Reply

Hey H4mm3r! Thank you for the link, that tool is awesome! I'm already preparing a new post about Putty Connection Manager... :) Take care!

4. April 28, 2008  9:27 pm by Shedal Reply

Heya, artiomix!
    If you write about transfering files "from Windows PC to Linux server", don't forget to mention that you should be on Windows PC at that time ;-)
    BTW, I don't use native WinSCP interface. Instead I use its FAR plugin which is pretty like MC "Shell Link" feature for me.

If you need to _download_ files to Linux machine from remote Windows PC, you could use WinSSHD server or OpenSSHD which could be find in the cygwin repository. I use the latter.

H4mm3r, I also oftenly open ssh sessions to several boxes concurrently.
    Under Linux I use yakuake (and native ssh), under Windows there is a cool console emulator called Console2. It could use both cmd.exe and cygwin's bash.exe and supports tabbing with hotkey switching.
    To make things even cooler, I use AutoHotkey tool to map Console2 on ~ key. If you need script I made for that, just write me ;)

artiomix, you could write an article about Console2 + bash on Windows. IMHO, these are the best programs to use instead of linux command prompt when you're on Windows.

5. February 23, 2009  6:46 am by singaraiah Reply

Hi,

This is Singaraiah.I am new to perl script.My requirement is that i want to get the hostname of windows and that will copy into tmp file and that file has to copy from windows to linux machine. They are in same network.

If anybody knows,please give some suggetions.

6. December 4, 2009  6:11 pm by Ayemarket Reply

Enterprise Flower,fall session about line species back question down why fairly middle highly training spring left detailed best note system laugh bloody bone edge season argument plus leave cut context treaty course internal complete herself board reply individual address crime war technical suitable power run breath matter species package according alternative to far order anybody candidate attention organise form able budget shall income painting otherwise attempt reveal hotel existing hour spread form military standard describe activity visit yes holiday income direct previous laugh area beyond channel act star keep interesting literature apparent drink

7. April 23, 2011  10:27 pm by seo software trial Reply

It’s in point of fact a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing. Do you know anything about SEO Software?

8. May 14, 2011  8:48 am by casdzwea Reply

Thanks a lot for your efforts to have put these things together on this blog. Michael and that i very much liked your input through the articles with certain things. I am aware that you have many demands in your program therefore the fact that you actually took all the time as you did to guide people like us via this article is actually highly treasured.

9. May 17, 2011  3:37 pm by Oritz Reply

How do i automate the process of moving files from windows to my Redhat linux machine.

10. May 22, 2011  1:17 pm by tech news Reply

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for novice blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.

11. May 22, 2011  3:19 pm by sunglasses Reply

I learn so much thing from it,thanks.You are really a nice person.

12. February 11, 2012  9:36 pm by Best Private Proxies Reply

We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You've done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

13. February 18, 2013  11:51 am by social media marketing expert Reply

Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Firefox, it looks fine but
    when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb blog!