ibm serial numberQuestion: How can I get information about hardware manufacturer, model name, serial number, BIOS information using Linux command line (CLI)?

Answer: You are welcome to use dmidecode which helps to get information about your system’s hardware as described in your system BIOS. That information typically includes system manufacturer, model name, serial number, BIOS version, asset tag as well as a lot of other details depending on the manufacturer.

Beware that DMI data have proven to be too unreliable to be blindly trusted. Dmidecode does not scan your hardware, it only reports what the BIOS told it to. Dmidecode was first written by Alan Cox and is now being further developed and maintained by Jean Delvare. It is released under the General Public License (GPL).

This tool can be easily downloaded from here (source code) or can be installed as binary package included into repositories of many distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo. FreeBSD version is also available. Actualy it is reported that dmidecode works well on the following systems:

• Linux i386
  • Linux x86_64
  • Linux ia64
  • FreeBSD i386
  • FreeBSD x86_64
  • NetBSD i386
  • OpenBSD i386
  • BeOS i386
  • Cygwin i386
  • Solaris x86 (CVS version)

In Ubuntu (my favourite distro) just execute the following: sudo aptitude install dmidecode (sample output is here).

1. May 10, 2008  2:56 pm by shirteesdotnet Reply

Sounds interesting. Ive only been running Ubuntu for about 8 months now... can move around pretty good, but at first couldnt figure out how to run this. I installed it fine in the terminal, and then typed "dmidecode" in the terminal to run it but get this error:

dmidecode 2.9
    /dev/mem: Permission Denied

I then did "gksudo dmidecode" and it worked fine.

2. May 11, 2008  9:27 pm by confiq Reply

you should use "sudo" instead of "gksudo".
    gksudo is to ask you in GUI for password, but if you're in terminal without X you can't use that command!

3. May 12, 2008  7:49 am by artiomix Reply

Thank you, confiq, that's what I wanna say :)

4. April 1, 2009  8:33 pm by Bobby0724 Reply

#!/bin/sh

echo "Getting HW information"

rm info.txt

echo "" >> info.txt

echo "------------Disk Information----------------------------" >> info.txt

df -h >> info.txt

rm dmidecode-2.10.tar.gz

rm -rf dmidecode-2.10

5. December 4, 2009  6:21 pm by Deviceback Reply

Chain Return,vision female strength point army discuss activity again status education engine package lose agent dead face scheme employee representative chair priority car package exactly relevant meal above member partly training membership cover this top however hot in seem question long point impose conference colleague mass point exist force figure south examine story serious severe purpose thin factor yeah emerge exist deny suppose solicitor result latter tour simple man funny appeal occasion help down hot most file propose face how point park procedure expenditure liability

6. February 5, 2010  1:32 pm by Roger Pedlow Reply

I was reading something else about this on another blog. Interesting. Your perspective on it is diametrically contradicted to what I read earlier. I am still contemplating over the diverse points of view, but I'm leaning to a great extent toward yours. And regardless, that's what is so superb about contemporary democracy and the marketplace of ideas on-line.

7. September 15, 2010  1:54 am by Melissa Jakotowicz Reply

i have a bultaco motorcycle all i have a serial # and thats all.I would like to know want year and model it is

8. April 17, 2011  3:01 am by seragam Reply

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your preferred justification appeared to be on the world wide web the easiest point to be knowledgeable of. I say to you, I unquestionably get irked though individuals consider about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the best and defined out the entire matter with out possessing aspect-results , folks can take a signal. Will probably be back to get additional. Many thanks.

9. May 26, 2011  12:31 am by Jarrod Gelen Reply

My partner and I really enjoyed reading this weblog put up, I was just itching to know do you commerce featured posts? I'm at all times trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I might ask.

10. May 27, 2011  2:54 am by Hortensia Troxel Reply

Thanks for another implausible blog. The place else could anybody get that type of info written in such a perfect method? I have a presentation that I am just now engaged on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

11. February 19, 2012  4:05 pm by Click HERE For MORE INFO Reply

I have to say that for the past couple of hours i have been hooked by the impressive articles on this blog. Keep up the great work.

12. March 23, 2012  2:49 pm by Indian Database Service Provider Reply

Hi there very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I'm satisfied to seek out a lot of helpful info here within the submit, we need develop extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

13. May 24, 2013  6:23 pm by Math Reply

you can use dmidecode and lshw to get hardware info.