Q: How can I disable one or several keys of my laptop keyboard in Linux? When I press DELETE key it gets stuck and deletes everything :)

A: No problem! You can use the following command to remap or disable any key of your keyboard:

xmodmap -e 'keycode <value>=<action>'

For example, run the following to disable your DELETE key: xmodmap -e 'keycode 107='. BTW you can get keycode that corresponds to certain keyboard button by using simple command xev

xev

The full list of available keycodes and actions assigned to them on UK keyboard is below…

keycode 8 =
keycode 109 = Control_R
keycode 110 = Pause
keycode 111 = Print
keycode 112 = KP_Divide
keycode 113 = Mode_switch
keycode 114 = Break

Information improvisation: Get free demos for http://www.braindumps.com/JN0-343.htm exam and http://www.pass4-sure.us/640-911-dumps.html with 100% guaranteed success. Our best quality http://www.test-king.com/exams/312-50v8.htm prepares you well before appearing in the final exams of https://www.isaca.org/ & http://www.actualtests.com/exam-312-50v8.htm Best wishes.

1. October 13, 2008  3:54 am by Stephan H. Wissel Reply

Very nice. Could you also share how to assign stuff to key combinations like F1

2. October 13, 2008  3:58 am by Stephan H. Wissel Reply

aarg... it did eat my comment. I meant to key combinations like [Super][Shift]F1

(and your anti-spam word is hidden when it recognizes a previous comment)

3. June 11, 2009  8:02 pm by rahul Reply

Many Thanks for this,

Could you please also let us know, how to re-enable the keyboard key. I disabled the down arrow key and it disabled for my both laptop keyboard and the external keyboard. But I want my external keyboard key enabled. How can i re-enable it?

Many Thanks

4. December 19, 2009  8:23 pm by cheap resveratrol Reply

Comfortabl y, the article is really the freshest on this worthw hile topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be enough, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay abreast of any updates. Fabulous work and much success in your business efforts!

5. March 26, 2010  2:38 am by Math Reply

This a lot, This aricle save me lot of time. Mapping keyboard key is really an awesome idea.

6. March 26, 2010  9:37 pm by sycleeageshog Reply

Earth Hour in 2010 happens on Saturday 27 March and is usually a global call to action to each and every man or women, just about every organization along with each and every neighborhood throughout the world.

Are going to you take part in it?

7. April 3, 2010  10:39 am by sukandi Reply

really cool man...

thank. ^^

8. April 14, 2010  7:33 am by Lisa Reply

How do you save the keys you want to change? my n and b are broken...

9. May 15, 2010  7:22 pm by Foxnewbee Reply

Excuse me. Does anybody realize how to find true Forex Expert Avisor from fake and a true trading signals from fraudulent? sorry for inconvinience

10. October 9, 2010  5:32 pm by Artaxerxes Reply

I did this, but the keys reset themselves after each reboot. What could be the problem?

11. November 24, 2010  11:24 pm by Diego Reply

Thanks a lot for the tip, my IBM Thinkpad has this page forward/back keys that are so annoying when typing an email, they can be easily pressed by accident and navigate away from the page, thus loosing the written text... and they are now disabled on my .profile :D

12. Pingback : down arrow key somehow mismapped or something

13. March 7, 2011  4:25 am by Plantar Fasciitis Treatment Reply

This constantly amazes me just how blog owners for example your self can find the time along with the commitment to carry on crafting remarkable blog posts. Your website isterrific and one of my personal have to read weblogs. I simply want to thank you.

14. May 12, 2011  10:09 pm by Ruben Stefan Reply

The only thing that seems to be missing here is that plugin that allows you to interlink your blog content, cloak affiliate links (or any other links), add the no follow attribute and stuff like that. This is actually a pretty powerful little tool and it does much more than just create links on a blog. It's great for creating affiliate links but it is also a powerful SEO tool as it can automatically interlink the page and posts on a blog with different anchor texts. by varying the link anchor texts and linking to deeper pages in the site, you should be able to see some improvements in your overall search engine rankings. It's really a nifty little piece of software and a 'must have' for any blogger. This plugin is already being used by thousands of casual bloggers, Internet marketers and professional SEO agencies. Check it Out -> http://adf.ly/1Txj0

15. May 17, 2011  5:17 am by Sook Oshinsky Reply

The excellent summary encouraged me very much! Saved the website, very great topics everywhere that I see here! I really appreciate the information, thanks.

16. April 10, 2012  10:28 am by shark Reply

Thanks a lot! You save my life a netbook. .)

17. February 17, 2013  4:12 am by chicago best restaurants with kids Reply

Arlington Heights, the news show up on Hither since I'm updating roughly vegan restaurants! Old and new assorted some of the finest dining establishments in the existence, chicago restaurants precisely can't be lost.

18. Pingback : A way to change 'Esc' key to '~' key in the keyboard?

19. May 24, 2013  11:12 am by Ade Malsasa Akbar Reply

Thank you! This key list was very helpful for me. My keyboard gone wrong and I can remap it in Linux EASILY by looking at this list.

Thank you.