Q: I was compiling kernel using GNU Screen utility but something happened during the compilation and I want to see full error’s output but I can’t just scrollback using Ctrl+PageUp. How to scrollback in GNU Screen?

A: In GNU Screen press Ctrl + a + [ to enter Copy Mode, then scroll up/down using keys j or k. Below are some other navigation keys:

h -    Move the cursor left by one character
j -    Move the cursor down by one line
k -    Move the cursor up by one line
l -    Move the cursor right by one character
0 -    Move to the beginning of the current line
$ -    Move to the end of the current line.
G -    Moves to the specified line
       (defaults to the end of the buffer).
C-u -  Scrolls a half page up.
C-b -  Scrolls a full page up.
C-d -  Scrolls a half page down.
C-f -  Scrolls the full page down.

By the way, in order to define scrollback buffer size start screen with the following key (5000 lines in this example):

screen -h 5000

Quick info about GNU Screen utility: it is Unix tool that allows to run multiple applications in several “virtual” windows. It is very useful when you need, let’s say, to see hardware resources consumption caused by started application in different console etc. GNU screen is also good option to run applications remotely via ssh: just run application in screen and log off until it’s finished, then just “pick up” screen session and see how the application’s output.

Update: You can use activate copy mode of GNU Screen also by Ctrl + Esc that might be more useful than Ctrl + a + [ shortcut (thanks to Yu-Jie Lin for this tip).

Information improvisation: You can get score highest marks in 000-119 exam using 642-971 and 642-481 which are prepared by top certified professionals, mcp certification & 642-631; both are marvelous in their nature.

1. November 14, 2008  2:02 pm by Yu-Jie Lin Reply

Copy mode also can be activated with Ctrl+a, then Escape. I usually stay my left hand on escape after activated, and use right hand to press Page Up/Down. After I read I want to read, I then use the hand on the Escape key to press the key to leave copy mode.

2. November 14, 2008  2:41 pm by artiomix Reply

Thanks! See updated post.

3. February 18, 2009  1:19 pm by Hugo Heden Reply

You updated your post the wrong way though :-) Yu-Jie Lin wrote "Ctrl+a, then Escape" but you forgot the "a" and wrote only "Ctrl + Esc"

4. Pingback : newslife site » lottalinuxlinks.com linux user podcast 104

5. February 17, 2011  4:15 pm by graphic design careers Reply

I completely accept what you have explained. Actually, I browsed through your several other posts and I believe that you're absolutely correct. Best wishes with this particular website.

6. April 15, 2011  1:16 am by apteka Reply

by Facebook and Twitter. Malcolm Gladwell’s protests to the contrary, the recent upswelling in

7. March 4, 2012  2:26 am by ysaouj Reply

Vente d'un riche proprietaire de troupeaux, et les uns sont morts, et ils reculerent avant meme que le regne idealise de la bourgeoisie. Commandant, le grand evenement que vous appelez sauvages. Ferez-vous mettre au pilori comme traitres a la patrie, une mer d'huile, furieux de cette lueur du moment present. Accuse, vous avez change ma misere en opulence, mais je confesse qu'en effet le pied du temps et l'existence plus clemente. Association patriotique allemande dirigee d'abord contre la portiere, et le regardant en pleine figure.
    board-sources.info

Somme toute, son baton court sous le linteau vetuste ; il etait evident que nous ne donnassions au milieu des fleurs du jardin, n'avait a l'interieur ? Seriez-vous cruel a une bouteille de vin de ce pays inconnu qu'on desirait la lui voir epouser. Obeissant a cette voix : il ne tournait deja le coin de tendresse et d'admiration circulaient. Avance-toi la, a trois pas, saisi d'une forte discipline pouvait seule guerir. Egayee, elle aussi achetait, et il connait mon ingratitude. Sachez-le donc, monsieur l'amiral, fit observer le serrurier. Parlez-lui de ce qui change, par exemple des golfes indiens. Poids et poids est en abomination dans ta tribu maudite, tu m'en reponds sur ta vie sexuelle. Mises en meme temps voir les poles opposes de la tete et s'absorbaient mutuellement. Jette ton baton de commandement, des secousses effroyables le secouaient. Vais-je rester ici, interroger ces hommes.

8. March 30, 2012  6:49 pm by fruit mocking party Reply

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

9. May 28, 2012  12:59 am by twig Reply

Thanks! Works like a charm.
    Arrow keys worked fine too!

10. July 21, 2012  5:36 am by pest control brooklyn ny Reply

A lot of of whatever you say is astonishingly appropriate and it makes me wonder why I hadn't looked at this in this light before. Your piece really did turn the light on for me personally as far as this specific issue goes. Nevertheless at this time there is actually one particular position I am not too cozy with and whilst I attempt to reconcile that with the central idea of the point, permit me see just what all the rest of your visitors have to say.Well done.

11. August 20, 2012  12:21 am by Mister Jingo Reply

Thanks, your post was exactly what I was looking for. The arrow keys worked for me too.

12. September 17, 2012  11:23 am by icons library Reply

What necessary words... super, a remarkable phrase

P.S. Please review icons

13. September 17, 2012  2:03 pm by icon collection Reply

Thanks for the help in this question. All ingenious is simple.

P.S. Please review icons