Today Google unveiled its new project: Google Public DNS. It means now anybody can use Google’s DNS managed servers for resolving domain names into IP addresses and back. According to Google it should speedup browsing as well as security. Hope I won’t see adsense ads once tried to load expired domain name (that’s how OpenDNS acts today).

Here are easy-to-remember Google Public DNS IP addresses: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

In order to set up Google public DNS to your Linux settings place the following lines into /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Use command dig @8.8.8.8 linuxscrew.com to test how long it takes to resolve linuxscrew.com:

artiomix@artiomix-laptop:~$ dig @8.8.8.8 linuxscrew.com
...
;; ANSWER SECTION:
linuxscrew.com. 51844 IN A 69.164.195.222

;; Query time: 80 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Dec 3 21:53:29 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 48

1. December 7, 2009  4:44 pm by Colt725 Reply

I googled open DNS vs. Google Puble DNS and found this story or blog titled "Google turns the page... in a bad way." I think is worth reading.

• November 23, 2012  6:44 am by asfa asim Reply

how can we open youtube???

2. December 11, 2009  4:36 pm by Trang Bui Reply

hey... i just have knew this page. I hope it will better than other one. Thanks

3. March 9, 2010  11:58 am by Ricky Reply

Great post!

I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. You are putting very good effort into the stuff you post.

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network.

You should check this link and you get more information

4. February 12, 2011  6:03 pm by jonny rocket Reply

4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 is still faster. and besides 8.8.8.8 is owned by level 3, not google.

5. February 17, 2011  1:58 pm by Sweeeny Reply

I know that there is more to responce than just latency but pinging 8.8.8.8 averages 19/20 ms, 4.2.2.2 is nearer 80.

6. April 20, 2011  9:53 am by Tarot barato Reply

Obviously I like your web site, however you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to tell you. On the other hand I will surely come back again!

7. April 27, 2011  9:22 am by mojgan Reply

nice!!!
    Love u goooooooogle

8. May 13, 2011  8:41 am by shonex Reply

Thank you for taking the time to write these articles.

9. March 23, 2012  1:38 am by Bank CardUSA Reply

I think there should be at least another book I've been up all nght for the last few nights reading them – they're the best!!

10. January 14, 2013  12:31 am by prescription glasses oakley Reply

Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering
    which blog platform are you using for this site? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had
    issues with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

11. May 3, 2013  1:39 am by Sidney Reply

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog's articles or reviews everyday along with a mug of coffee.