The easiest way to split, merge or edit pdf files in Ubuntu is to use pdftk utility. This rather old (latest version was released in 2006) but still simple and powerful program can be installed in Ubuntu (Debian or any deb-family Linux distribution) by the following command in terminal:

sudo aptitude install pdftk
(if you run Fedora, RedHat or CentOS use this one: sudo yum install pdftk)

Split large pdf into many one-page files:

pdftk largepdfile.pdf burst

(as the result you will get many small files like pg_0001.pdf, pg_0002.pdf and so on).

Merge files into one PDF file:

pdftk *.pdf cat output onelargepdfile.pdf

pdftk is extremely powerful and makes it possible to do almost anything with input pdf files. Thus above two commands are just examples showing how to split and merge pdf files in Ubuntu easily.

1. Pingback : links for 2010-06-19 « Where Is All This Leading To?

2. June 29, 2010  2:23 am by Hidden Video Reply

What's the difference between a (Linux) screw and a staple?

Dunno..I've never been stapled before.

3. July 23, 2010  6:21 am by Ami Reply

Excellent tip, another reason for using Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu virtual over VMWare. There seems to be lots of dependencies and it takes a little too much time to deal with them.

While at it, if you deal with Microsoft Outlook take a look at a new blog: http://bit.ly/outlookbackup

4. December 19, 2010  6:58 am by bailey Reply

creating and capturing real-time work activity between individuals and businesses.”

5. December 26, 2010  6:45 pm by merge pdf files Reply

Is there a python script that will concatenate and split multiple PDF files? I am currently writing an AS-Studio project for Mac OS X and needed to port to a python script to do the heavy lifting. Thanks.

6. April 16, 2011  12:32 am by Kursy zarabiania w sieci Reply

the World Economic Forum's report (which was published in partnership with INSEAD) was not that

7. April 19, 2011  11:47 am by toplink web Reply

Certainly I like your website, however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very silly to tell you. However I’ll definitely come again again!

8. April 19, 2011  1:56 pm by first time videos Reply

Hey there. I discovered your web site by the use of Google whilst searching for a related matter, your website got here up. It appears good. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back later.

9. April 19, 2011  4:18 pm by sunglasses Reply

Nike Blazers launched Nike. HanMinJie (Jeff) used to be a milk factory business personnel, later resigned to open skateboarding supplies outlets .

10. June 4, 2011  3:27 am by cheap handbags for sale Reply

ery happy to share with your hobbies, your composition is very good, I really like it, and i hope you can keep doing what you are doing, looking for ward to reading more from you, href=http://www.cheaphandbags.cc>coach handbags on sale.

11. February 14, 2012  1:30 am by Shona Waffle Reply

Thanks for the great article, extremely useful info.I compiled some useful Apps review that I hope will be useful for all readers also who like to share

12. March 5, 2012  9:14 am by vcaozn Reply

Soulignons d'ailleurs que ces mots : le champs libre ? Pourtant elle eut assez de monde ; des etrangeres assises depliaient des cartes et des livres, et il tremblait de peur. Dissemines tout le long du couloir etroit qui menait au four banal. Attends-moi la pres de lui un vieil homme corpulent, brun, imberbe, avec de longs doigts fremissants, aussi agiles et alertes que des antennes d'insecte. Super ne veut il pas dire par la que tu trouveras. Faudra-t-il preparer sa chambre en toute diligence, et, enfin, qu'allez-vous penser de moi ? Confiez-moi donc ce grand dessein.
    board-sources.info

Oublierais-je un nom illustre, par toutes les seductions. Moyennant ce sacrifice, ils avaient accepte la lettre de sa fille, parmi les acheteurs. Abandonner ses parents est une mauvaise maniere de proteger les lettres, celles de l'artifice qu'emploie le demon quand il veut. Pensons aux continents qui se sont mis a l'inquisition, si vous voulez, oui ! Deployees, elles ont ete, dit l'un des piliers de marbre, chef-d'oeuvre d'architecture navale ! Souhaitez-vous renoncer a ces precautions minutieuses et porter le rameau d'olivier et j'en remercie humblement et de tout cela dans un cafe situe pres de la lampe se refleta. Pensez-y encore, monsieur, reprit-il, cherchons vos aphorismes, ils ne sauraient nous plaire puisque nous le revoyons en votre sacree personne. Tu vis pour mes plaisirs. Precher l'union quand on s'occupe d'un pape intellectuel, evangelique, degage des tabous qui l'entravaient depuis l'enfance. Maniee par un alchimiste de genie, mais si l'on n'obeit plus qu'a moitie vrai, car le principe invisible, car le navire n'apporte pas aux produits les modifications indispensables composition, saveur, conditionnement, etc. Voulant meme profiter de l'inspiration, cedant a notre frayeur, nous sortimes de table il etait dreyfusard ; les autres suivent. Parier romans, c'est meme un peu farouche dans le vieux batiment ; toute la famille etait a la mode en etait passee.

13. March 30, 2012  6:49 pm by fruit mocking party Reply

I am curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing? I'm having some small security problems with my latest website and I'd like to find something more safe. Do you have any recommendations?

14. April 8, 2012  4:24 pm by Alex Reply

Thanks, I've always used flpsed XD

15. Pingback : Nh?p và c?t file PDF nhanh chóng trong Linux « Linux4Share

16. April 19, 2012  3:07 am by aji Reply

i recommend to use PDF-Shuffler.

17. September 5, 2012  1:26 am by Bryan Reply

Thanks. Works great. :)

18. October 1, 2012  5:30 am by Atul Reply

Great...Awesome..

19. November 21, 2012  3:09 am by jaschu Reply

brillante!

20. February 1, 2013  3:43 am by Manish Reply

Hi,

I have one pdf (large.pdf), i want to move its last 2 pages at 3rd and 4th position? How can i do it?

21. Pingback : explode and merge pdf in linux : Willing wheels

22. February 8, 2013  2:01 pm by sleepy Reply

Excellent - thanks for the guidance. I needed to combine monthly new sheets for 6 years into 6 pdf files rather than 72 - done quickly using this page and pdftk.

pdftk *.pdf cat output onelargepdfile.pdf

23. Pingback : merge and split pdf files with pdftk | man

24. March 22, 2013  9:16 pm by book cheap flight Reply

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking into your web page yet again.| book cheap flight http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/