sound blasterGood news for owners of Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series as manufacturer’s binary Linux drivers are available for free downloading. The driver is compatible with ALSA. Bad news: it’s available only for x86_64 Linux.

Here is the list of supported cards:

• Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Driver is available here.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Information improvisation: are the pioneers in providing http:///70-417.htm and http://www.pass4-sure.us/SY0-401-dumps.html with 100% exam pass guarantee. Download our latest http://www.test-king.com/exams/CISSP.htm and http://www.sap.com/index.html or http://www.actualtests.com/exam-CISSP.htm Best Wishes.

1. October 10, 2007  12:32 pm by mallchin Reply

And it requires gcc-3, fire making abilities from wood, sticks & string and advanced knowledge of smoke signals.

Bring us the gcc-4 32/64bit binaries we deserve.

2. October 21, 2007  1:02 pm by mallchin Reply

Hello :)

I've directed some comments towards Creative.

Nothing personal, thanks for bringing us the news!

3. November 17, 2007  10:16 am by Tony D Reply

I've just written to Creative asking for a release version driver for 64 and 32-bit linux. It's hard to imagine how it could take a company as large as creative so long to develop drivers for their own hardware. They only just got the Vista 64 bit drivers working somewhat properly.

4. November 17, 2007  11:50 pm by PatrickD Reply

Hey :-s

I think we'll have to wait another 2 years before seeing any results .... for those linux 32 bit buggy closed source drivers

they should instead release a OPEN SOURCE linux 32 or 64 bit driver and let the community take care of the bugs ... at least we would have something to start.

I have an X-fi since two years ... still not even thinking of when they will release something for it on Linux 32 bits. I have parts of it working although .... on XP's buggy drivers and got tired of the BSOD's so I migrated to Linux

Vive le Linux LIBRE!!!

5. January 13, 2008  7:00 am by PatrickD Reply

Beginning of 2008,

2 Months later from my previous comment ... Nothing done so far :(

ask me if I'm surprised.

I've seen the comments about the 64 bit drivers ... they are bad ... some of them ... not even able to compile !!!

Drivers for the 32 bit version will be available when ...

Linux Core will be 2048 bits (in Early 2019)

We'll be running on Pentium 12 at this time !!!

And PCI / PCIE connectors won't exist any more

... and these drivers will still be buggy and beta releases

Wanna spend 250 bucks on a crappy card ... this one is made for you

Creative shall focus on the Hardware ONLY and leave Software to THIRD parties

If by the End of December 2008 no driver is release ...

I will Blast my X-Fi in some way and post it on YOUTUBE.com

for any suggestions about this BLAST ... let me know

I think this will get the best Crackling sound ever had from this Hardware

Non-Proud Owner of a X-Fi Fatality

6. January 23, 2008  1:44 am by michael bailey Reply

7. February 19, 2008  2:29 pm by JhonyKill Reply

I just want to ask that is there any 32 bit version ???????? cause my linux is runing on 32 bit.

8. February 28, 2008  6:57 am by Kesh Reply

michael bailey "i installed ubuntu 64 bot on my athlon 64 bit based machine, downloaded the 64 bit beta drivers from creative and then driver installer said my OS was not 64 bit"

Hi Michael,

In the ./installer script, in the beginning, it queries the system with uname -i to determine if your OS is 64 bit or not. Some Distros kernels don't state the architecture that way (debian 4.0 etch 2.6.18 for example says unknown). following along that script, just below there has an if statement that checks if the variable is not x86_64. within that, is "exit 1". Comment that line out, and the script should continue past that.

9. March 26, 2008  10:04 am by mallchin Reply

H Mr Doe,

Prey tell, are you running 32 or 64-bit?

What distro (I assume RPM based)?

What is the exact model of your X-Fi card (some X-Fi actually use emu10k chips)?

10. April 1, 2008  9:07 pm by Ken Reply

I`ve spent hours upon hours trying to get either of the two drivers, etc. (alsa 1.0.16 and the oss) installed and working in several flavors of linux on a usb flash drive without sucess.
    I finally found an entirely different and easy way to get around my SB XFi card and get sound with linux. I bought one of the cheap($5) usb 3D, plug-in sound cards and connect my speaker system thru this. You don`t get much amplification from this small device but if you have decent amplified speakers the sound is not bad at all. It is supposed to support 5.1 speaker systems but I don`t have those. All I know is that it sounds pretty good with my Klipsch 2.1 set up and all the linux distros I`ve tried have no probs configuring it.
    Hope this helps!

Oh, and bye, bye, Creative!

11. April 2, 2008  8:43 am by mallchin Reply

I thought about adding a second sound card. A USB one sounds ideal. A bit messy having one set of speakers and two sound sources but a a splitter ought to solve that :)

12. April 4, 2008  4:17 pm by ugo flo Reply

nice write up.i really don't have much 2 say.

13. May 28, 2008  7:55 pm by mr angry Reply

I just spent the past two days installing debian. my first experience with linux.

after getting all of the files loaded and in the right places i.e. c .. compilers , kernal roots and whatever other shit was needed to run creatives instilation. it installed just fine, even made sounds come out of my speakers, correct ones at that. after I rebooted...... NOTHING. I've re-installed coulntless times hoping to recreate the majik that let me use my sound card for a fleeting moment. but nope nothing. I think I'm going to dig out my ancient sound blaster and upgrade to a downgrade.

good luck other x-fi owners

14. June 7, 2008  6:47 pm by cl0ud_nyn3 Reply

Nice, you actually managed to create a driver for linux, the one problem with this is that it doesn't work, !! who would have guessed, I mean you guys are only one of the biggest leaders in desktop sound right now, and you can't even hire a team of devs to make a simple driver? "sigh" maybe someday.

15. June 30, 2008  5:00 pm by PatrickD Reply

OMG ... OMG... OMG

Finally a 32bit X-Fi driver ... lol

I have this card since so long and unable to use it in Linux that I didn't expected the to have some kinda drivers released someday ... this is why I only replied today

Got the thing installed

... and finally got some sound out of it

Sound Quality ... Really better than my onboard SC

Only front speakers working so far,

No features at all but ...

that's a start point anyway

thx to Whom got involved to make this possible

My PCI X-Fi Fatality is not dead YET :|

16. June 30, 2008  8:31 pm by PatrickD Reply

I'm sorry for the previous comment ...

I said that I had the thing installed ... I meant OSS 4

that's why I have only front speakers workin

Cause I've tried the Creative package and ...

make: *** [all] Error 2

make: *** [install] Error 2

Installation Unsuccessful

... lol kinda expected :|

Good luck Creative X-Fi Owners

17. July 1, 2008  4:41 pm by mallchin Reply

Cythrawl, you have a point, the card does state Windows only. Still, its a little late in the game to release Windows-only hardware. This isn't 1995.

I'm considering selling the Dell and buying a Mac. It Just Works(TM).

18. August 4, 2008  12:52 pm by Raghu Reply

It it works for Creative Sound blaster 5.1?(Linux OS)

or Is thre any driver (Linux)?

19. Pingback : Soundblaster X-Fi - openSUSE Forums

20. August 24, 2008  7:16 am by Red Reply

Waiting for creative to produce a working bin file since 2005....

Waiting for creative to produce a decent XP driver since 2005....

Waiting for creative product support since "whenever"

Waiting for alternatives to creative products since 2005.

Waiting for company license to produce creative alternative products for 4 weeks.

Waiting for private funding to produce a true 24 bit/hd chip and sound encoding for 2 weeks.

Product will be ready in 12 months. Creative will still be writing about Beta drivers for X fi in 1020...

21. Pingback : Alternativt OS: Ubuntu självklara valet |

22. December 1, 2008  9:25 pm by LITWIN Reply

Drivers will still in progress??

23. December 24, 2008  9:57 am by ncoder Reply

I've found today a link to a 68KB file in Creative...
    it states it is a :
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi and X-Fi Titanium Series Linux 32-bit / 64-bit Driver Source Release

And... in my Ubuntu 08.10, with OSS drivers ... IT SIMPLY WORKS!
    Nice holiday gift from creative, I'll hide all the voodoo dolls I collected for them in the past

24. February 10, 2010  10:02 am by Marcelo Warga Reply

Awesome Blog, Dude! I am always on the lookout for new and interesting sites and postings about audio equipment... which is what led me here. I certainly plan on visiting again! Cheers

25. October 5, 2010  5:14 am by Azucena Lorona Reply

hello!,I like yourblog so much! share we chat more about your review on AOL? Looking forward to see you.

26. January 1, 2011  8:06 am by Bethanie Zertuche Reply

Hey! That’s a very great post. I’m very sure I will counsel it to my co-workers.Should you post extra posts please e-mail them to me.

27. February 28, 2011  3:54 pm by web designer perth Reply

Nice read. I just passed this onto a buddy who was doing a little research on that. He just bought me lunch as I found it for him! So let me rephrase: Thank you for lunch!