dell 1501As many other Ubuntu users several days ago I’ve upgraded my Feisty to Gutsy at my Dell Inspiron 1501.

Unfortunately many things that worked for me in Feisty doesn’t work in Gutsy just after upgrading. Among them are: suspend/hibernate and brightness adjustment. At this moment I’m trying to get these features working and certainly share results here but not workable brightness adjustment really disturbed me. So, until I didn’t find a solution how to adjust LCD brightness with keyboard, there is nice workaround: execute the following command with root rights (sudo -s to get it):

echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

This will make you LCD screen as bright as possible and you can proceed with your work (like me 🙂 ). To lower brightness just replace 100 with another value like 62 and watch the results.

Hope it helps!

Information improvisation: If you are looking for fast success in http:///JN0-102.htm then join today to find complete http://www.pass4-sure.us/220-801-dumps.html resources and pass passguide certifications on first try. A person can pick http://www.test-king.com/exams/640-554.htm & shttps://www.lpi.org/ and more visit http://www.actualtests.com/exam-640-554.htm Best Wishes.

1. Pingback : Personal Computers and Tech News » Ajust LCD brightness from command line (works at Dell 1501)

2. Pingback : eraser’s blog » Blog Archive » Ajust LCD brightness from command line (works at Dell 1501)

3. October 27, 2007  6:58 am by vivek Reply

Nice tip :)

4. Pingback : dell » Ajust LCD brightness from command line (works at Dell 1501)

5. November 11, 2007  7:27 am by aruvoski Reply

how?

6. November 12, 2007  9:06 am by admin Reply

Hi aruvoski,

In your Ubuntu:
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Then type `sudo -s` and enter your password. After you've got prompt like ~#, you can type:

echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    to adjust LCD brightness where 100 is maximum value and 62 is minimum.

Hope it helps! :)

P.S. You're welcome to ask any related questions here ;)

7. January 10, 2008  3:34 pm by Cristian Navalici Reply

Pay attention that you might have GLX instead of VGA as in:

/proc/acpi/video/GLX0/LCD/brightness

Anyway, this is a 'cool' tip. Thanks for it!

8. January 10, 2008  7:25 pm by Jillian Reply

oh good lord THANK YOU

i have been trying to figure this out for weeks.

YAY BRIGHT SCREEN AGAIN!!

9. January 10, 2008  9:50 pm by admin Reply

Hey everybody, thanks for your comments! :)

10. January 24, 2008  3:56 pm by Rasha Reply

I have a Dell Latitude C610 and I've tried running the line in Ubuntu tho I had to modify as my line is /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness. But it's saying the command is unknown.

11. January 24, 2008  8:28 pm by admin Reply

Hello Rasha,

try this:

<code>sudo -s</code> or <code>su</code>

then

<code>echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness</code>

:D

12. February 6, 2008  6:55 am by Satish Vellanki Reply

No luck for me :-(

# echo -n 50 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

What could be wrong?

13. February 18, 2008  6:01 pm by ross Reply

turn off acpi and it will work with fn keys

14. February 18, 2008  6:02 pm by ross Reply

it might only work on opensuse. when you do this kpowersave doesnt work

15. February 23, 2008  5:57 pm by animatt Reply

Try running cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

This will show supported brightness levels.

Running it on my monitor gives

root@Gateway-M-Series:/home/animatt# cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightnesslevels: 100 37 12 25 37 50 62 75 87 100

current: 12

16. March 3, 2008  4:04 am by Alex Reply

Thanks for posting this info. Every day, I learn something new about using linux. Much more fun than M$ Win!

Seems to me this could easily be put in a script that would read the current setting and go up or down depending on which name it was called with.

I'm going to work on it for myself and post it back here in case anyone else is interested.

Can all of the hardware be controlled via the /proc dir?

Thanks again for the pointer. :-)

17. March 4, 2008  4:14 am by Alex Reply

The following is working nicely for me:

#!/bin/sh

# adjust lcd brightness on Dell Inspiron 1501 - 080303 Alex P Janssen Jr - alex@ourwoods.org

# INSTRUCTIONS:

# Save this script to a file named brightup.sh in /home/yourusername/bin

# Make it executable: chmod +x brightup.sh

# Save yourself having to run it in a terminal and enter your password each time

# edit sudoers: sudo visudo

# add to sudoers: yourusername ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/bin/bash

# save and exit

# link brightup and brightdn to brightup.sh:

# ln -s /home/yourusername/bin/brightup.sh /home/yourusername/bin/brightup

# ln -s /home/yourusername/bin/brightup.sh /home/yourusername/bin/brightdn

# Add a couple of custum launchers to your panel ( I run Gnome )

# Right-click the panel and select Add to Panel

# Click Custom Launcher

# Type=Application, Name=Darker, Command=sudo bash -c /home/apjjr/bin/brightdn

# Select a down-arrow for an icon and Close

# Do the same for brightup, except set the name to Lighter and pick an up-arrow

#

# check our id

#echo `id`

ourname=$0

ourname=`basename "$ourname"`

xx=`cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness | grep current | cut -c 9-`

curbright=`echo $xx`

# check process name and current brightness setting

#echo "${ourname},${curbright}:"

break;

fi;

prev=$i

done

}

Bdown (){ Bup -; }

(Just make sure the line FILE=/proc/acpi/video/... points to your correct file.)

This way, I can type in a terminal "Bup" or "Bdown" to set the brightness up or down.

Greetings.

19. October 17, 2008  12:23 pm by Geoffroy Reply

BRIGHTNESS on UBUNTU:

This has worked for me in the directory, for me
    /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD03$
    and I did the command
    echo -n 100> brightness
    in my directory.
    Don't forget to change the rights and owner for the file brightness

Thanks for this admin:
    " echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
    to adjust LCD brightness where 100 is maximum value and 62 is minimum.
    Hope it helps! :)"

20. December 26, 2008  11:21 am by Ohnoesmilk Reply

thank you so much!!! you saved my eyes from burning! :D

21. March 1, 2009  1:55 pm by Radha Reply

guys do this work on windows?

i need to know pls make me know the fast you can my email is

elmenoldr@hotmail.com

22. October 14, 2009  2:35 am by Dan Reply

Is there anyway to control the brightness on an LCD panel monitor for a desktop. Mine is too bright and there is no video folder. I'm sure this is possible as when the computer is left idle it gradually dims until it goes blank. There must be a way to dim the screen a set amount.

23. November 6, 2009  9:52 pm by ???????? ????? Reply

??? ??? ??????? ????????? ?? ????. ??? ???????? ?????? ??????????????.

24. November 29, 2009  12:27 pm by Benneh Reply

Hi Neal Stephenson!

I use Kubuntu 8.04 and the following is working nicely for me:

sudo su

and next:

echo -n 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

Hope it helps!

25. November 30, 2009  4:32 pm by Tyrone Dimery Reply

Hello, I just found your website while searching around online as I'm seeking some information on LCD TVs!. It's a very interesting site so I bookmarked your site and intend to return tomorrow to enjoy a more detailed look when I have more time.

26. December 19, 2009  1:38 am by RProgrammer Reply

I have GFX0 instead of VGA on Karmic and I get the Invalid Argument error too.

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD# echo -n 100 > brightness

bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD# cat brightness

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD#

27. December 19, 2009  1:42 am by RProgrammer Reply

Sorry, the forum ate my <> signs

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD# cat brightness

<not supported>

/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD#

28. January 17, 2010  2:29 am by ?e??????a Reply

??? ???????? ???????????????, ?? ??? ??????? ??? ?? ???????????? ????? ???????? ?????? ????? ?????-?? ?????.

29. February 24, 2010  12:05 pm by Anaconda Reply

for all of you, who have the "invalid argument" problem. And who can't change the brightnes value, because you are unable to edit the brightness file.

Install xbacklight (eg. sudo apt-get install xbacklight) and use it to change the brightness value eg.
    xbacklight -set 100

Just change the 100 to anything you want between 0-100
    In my machine the numbers are not in logical order, but once you know how bright each seting is you can "remember those numbers", or write a script

And xbacklight does change the brightness value too...

30. February 25, 2010  4:03 am by nomad Reply

i installed xbacklight and typed in "xbacklight -set 100"
    then it says "No outputs have backlight property"

what's the problem..??

31. April 20, 2010  8:59 pm by Nevyn Reply

Hi Guys,

Okay - those guys having problems... Type in:

cat /procacpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

In that above line, LCD may be something different - mines LLCD. Anyway, there's the possibility that yours isn't on a scale from 0 to 100. Mine goes from 0 to 15. So if you're looking at your monitor and it's already pretty bright, and you've run that command above, that's probably going to be your maximum value.

So go to the original command, and alter your values to match.

Regards,

Nevyn.

32. April 30, 2010  6:07 am by raff Reply

i keep getting "bash: /proc/acpi/video/GLX0/LCD/brightness: No such file or directory"

but it is there, i checked by browsing the file system, but the file is read-only

anything i can do?

33. April 30, 2010  8:08 pm by Ismas Reply

One note: If you don't have /proc/acpi/video, do this:

sudo modprobe video

Now you have. :)

34. June 15, 2010  5:39 pm by kanna Reply

Hi,

I am also getting “No outputs have backlight property”.

After installing back light. What should i do??

35. September 22, 2010  4:07 pm by prakash Reply

hey i am sing ubuntu 10.04 version. my system brightness is not changing with Fn key.
    /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness is not there. there is /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD01/brightness file. but when i followed with echo -n /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD01/brightness it is saying that echo is invalid arguement... please help me .. i am facing problem to my eyes with high brightness.

36. September 30, 2010  4:28 am by Sergey Shlykovich Reply

If you use gnome, you could just add Brightness Applet to you Panel

37. November 16, 2010  3:30 pm by Agilar Reply

Thanks - it works!

38. December 9, 2010  3:21 am by Iklswt Reply

Thank you for shfwaring youwr admin would get ready a severely beneficial write-up I congratulate.

39. December 12, 2010  5:46 pm by Linux noob Reply

hi i tried it but it did not work and it says root@me~#

40. January 27, 2011  8:53 pm by Alex Reply

Check my tool for the brightness adjustment.

41. February 5, 2011  10:27 pm by peliculas online gratis estrenos Reply

Congratulations on possessing certainly one in all probably the most sophisticated blogs Ive arrive throughout in a while! Its just superb how much you’ll be capable of think about away from a thing basically merely because of how visually gorgeous it is. Youve place collectively a fantastic weblog web site space –great graphics, movies, layout. This is actually a must-see web site!

42. May 7, 2011  7:28 am by Ricky Reply

wow, thank you very much. I'm really a new guy of Linux.

43. May 30, 2011  8:58 pm by computer courses london Reply

I was just searching for this info for a while. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this kind of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage.

44. January 26, 2012  4:19 pm by ppm Reply

It worked for my HP Pavilion tx 1000 / 1215 laptop.Thanks buddy.

45. Pingback : How to change brightness on linux desktop through the command line? | | Atutz , Linux Server tutorialsAtutz , Linux Server tutorials

46. September 5, 2012  5:23 am by Chris Reply

Thanks! This is handy at night during late night coding sessions

47. March 29, 2013  10:03 pm by florida cpa Reply

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!