This post is dedicated to quality html editors for Linux and Ubuntu operating system in particular. You may think that nowadays nobody uses offline editors as there are so many content management systems (CMS) like Drupal (my favourite one), WordPress, Joomla etc. which contain embedded visual html editors. But today I made sure myself that sometimes it’s real pain to draw a 10×20 table using WordPress’s editor…

Text editors like gedit, emacs, nano or vi will certainly live forever but thankfully there are numerous visual html editors for my Ubuntu 🙂 They are sometimes called WYSIWYG editors, it mean “What You See Is What You Get”.

1. Quanta Plus

This is KDE/Qt visual html editor available as binary package for numerous Linux distributions
including Debian and Ubuntu. From developers’ site:

Quanta Plus is a highly stable and feature rich web development environment.
The vision with Quanta has always been to start with the best architectural
foundations, design for efficient and natural use and enable maximal user
extensibility.

In order to install it in Debian/Ubuntu run the following CLI command:

sudo apt-get install quanta

Fedora, Centos, Redhat users type this:

sudo yum install kdewebdev

I found Quanta html editor extremely useful, this is just an outstanding application of this
field.

2. Bluefish

Bluefish HTML editor logoBluefish is a powerful editor targeted towards programmers and webdesigners,
with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. Bluefish
supports many programming and markup languages, and it focuses on editing
dynamic and interactive websites.

I found this really versatile html editor. Besides HTML/CSS it handles C,
Java, Perl, Python, XML and others.

Ubuntu and Debian users type:

sudo apt-get install bluefish

Fedora/Redhat/Centos:

sudo yum install bluefish

Gentoo:

emerge bluefish

3. Screem

SCREEM is a web development environment. It’s purpose is to increase
productivity when constructing a site, by providing quick access to commonly
used features. While it is written for use with the GNOME desktop environment
in mind it does not specifically require you to be running it, just have the
libraries installed.

This is one of the most user-friendly Gnome HTML editor. Its simple interface
brings extremely powerfull HTML editor so if like minimalistic design Screem
is your choice.

Update: below is the bottom line from Linux.com‘s review of three Linux HTML editors (Quanta Plus, Blowfish,
Screem). I found that review after I wrote this post.

• If you use GNOME, use Screem. It’s a fast, simple, and powerful tool for web editing. However, it does not have the large feature sets that Bluefish and Quanta Plus have, especially for languages other than those directly related to Web page editing.
  • If you use GNOME and need the more powerful features of Quanta Plus, load the required libraries and run it.
  • If you use KDE and want a code editor, choose Quanta Plus. Ignore the WYSIWYG capabilities and take advantage of the tremendous editing capabilities, especially for CSS style sheets.
  • If you use Xfce, Quanta Plus should run fine. Screem would still require loading additional libraries.
  • Finally, if you use GNOME, find that Screem does not meet all your needs, and you don’t want to bother with loading the KDE-native Quanta Plus, then load Bluefish. It is nearly as capable as Quanta Plus, but will run well without a lot of fussing with libraries.

Information improvisation: Enjoy the real success with http:///70-243.htm and cisco http://www.pass4-sure.us/352-001-dumps.html online training programs and latest http://www.test-king.com/exams/642-999.htm . Also prepare for next level with quality http://www.cisco.com/ questions and answers of http://www.actualtests.com/exam-642-999.htm training.

1. July 28, 2009  4:52 pm by Red Five Reply

I have found that Screem is pretty unstable in Ubuntu 9.04 amd64. It crashes on me frequently.

2. July 29, 2009  12:11 am by Gyffes Reply

I find that in KDE environments, Kate is wonderful. Bluefish is not bad and Screem seems a bit unstable. Geany also is nice, though not quite as full-featured as Kate, I think.

3. Pingback : Links 29/07/2009: Debian on Time-Based Releases | Boycott Novell

4. July 29, 2009  10:46 pm by Gen2ly Reply

I wasn't that excited about any of these and began using Arachnophilia. It's a java app so technically not Linux but does a good job.

5. August 17, 2009  1:33 pm by deffie web hosting Reply

besides linux you all have mentioned others.which is best?cannot decide on myself which one to go for

6. October 9, 2009  5:31 pm by junkieweb Reply

WOW, I am totally new to linux ... I started with linuxmint 7 & your command lines helped me a lot to install some apps ...

THANX,

7. October 20, 2009  7:32 am by aldy Reply

Wow,good idea

8. November 2, 2009  9:32 am by Dhinakaran Reply

how to uninstall kdewebdev in centos5.3

9. November 6, 2009  9:03 am by apps Reply

//how to uninstall kdewebdev in centos5.3

sudo yum remove kdewebdev

10. December 2, 2009  8:12 am by Brie Reply

Having used all three, I strongly recommend Bluefish. It's wonderful, versatile, powerful, everything I'm looking for. :-).

11. Pingback : Peng’s links for Sunday, 2 August « I'm Just an Avatar

12. January 4, 2011  3:07 am by Diedre Alexion Reply

I tried to create a comment before, however it has not shown up. Is there something wrong with your spam filter?

13. January 15, 2011  1:25 am by Russelius Ernestius!! Reply

I love Bluefish...and thanks for the post!!

14. May 13, 2011  8:35 am by video baby monitor Reply

An Inflexible system

15. March 30, 2012  7:33 pm by fruit mocking party Reply

Superb post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Many thanks!

16. April 10, 2013  4:03 am by baby gift Reply

Debi Thomas~ I tell people Im too stupid to know whats impossible. I have ridiculously large dreams and half the time they come true.

17. June 7, 2013  3:32 am by cash loans uk Reply

Financial Backing a bigger didactics and not visit the troupe managers fundament individually as everything is done online on but
    weft a form. loans till payday uk The tv camera performs praiseworthily easily when faced with the neck and shoulders
    may be selfsame tense and this can lead-in to further hurting and regular complications
    with sleeping.