1. Linux kernel 2.6.28 was officially released at 28 Dec, 2008: ext4, graphics execution manager (GEM), TAINTed_CRAP. See First Look by arstechnica.com.
P.S. Linus “almost Santa” Torvalds’ announcement is definitely worth reading:
Listen to the cheerful grinding of your harddisk as you reboot into an all-new kernel – and I’m sure that if your computer could smile, it would have a big silly grin on its non-existent face. So as you sit there in your basement, give your computer the holiday cheer too.
2. Top 10 Coolest Open Source Applications in 2008. Well, good reading in New Year Eve.
3. Bootable FSF membership cards: USB flash drive comes with pre-installed gNewSense 2.1.
4. Sabayon Linux 4.0 is realeased (smart Gentoo based distro): 25% boot speed gain, 8500 applications, ext4, KDE 4.1.3, Gnome 2.24.2, OpenOffice.org 3.0, Firefox 3.0 and more…
5. Pidgin 2.5.3 is out. Best GTK based instant messenger is ready for downloading. Changelog.