This page will help you quickly and easily set up a cron job to run once per week on Tuesday.
The Cron Job/Crontab
To have your task run at this frequency, use the following cron:
0 0 * * 2
This cron command translates to the following (in Human-Readable format):
“Once per week on Tuesday.”
What is a Cron Job & Crontab?
A cron job is a scheduled task that is typically executed automatically at a predetermined time or interval. Cron jobs are often used to perform routine system maintenance tasks, such as backing up files or databases, deleting temporary files, or sending email notifications.
A crontab is a file containing commands and instructions for the cron daemon to execute.
Every cron job uses five fields. Here is an explanation of what each field does in this cron, which runs “once per week on Tuesday“:
- Field 1: (0) indicates that the task will be run at minute 0.
- Field 2: (0) indicates that the task will be run at hour 0 (12 am).
- Field 3: (*) indicates that the task will be run every day of the month.
- Field 4: (*) indicates that the task will be run every month.
- Field 5: (2) indicates that the task will be run every Tuesday.
FUN FACT: Cron is typically used for things like system maintenance tasks, running backups etc..
You might want to set up a crontab or cron job to run once per week on Tuesday for several reasons, including:
- Sending a weekly email report on the number of website visitors
- Generating a weekly sales report
- Running a script to delete temporary files that are more than one week old
Similar Cron Jobs
You might also want to run a crontab:
- once per week on Monday
- once per week on Tuesday
- once per week on Sunday
- once per week on Wednesday
- once per week on Friday
- once per week on Saturday
- once per week on Thursday
- once per day on Thursday to Friday
- once per day on Wednesday to Friday
FUN FACT: If a cron job is not properly configured, it might never execute – so make sure you double-check your settings before setting one up!.
In this article, you learned how to set up a cron job that runs once per week on Tuesday. Please share this page with friends and colleagues if you find it useful.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to comment below.
If you are looking for cron jobs that run at certain minutes, hours, days, weekdays, or months, or if you are looking for miscellaneous cron jobs, then check out our relevant sections, or visit our cron job cheat sheet for a list of hundreds of popular cron jobs.